Jail Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedjasonf

Dabbler
I'm having an issue getting my jail network settings correct. To make the matter worse I am part of a network where I have a little control over my settings but not a great deal. I've registered the jail IP address (131.151.141.47) on my network and requested no DHCP. The IP of the FreeNAS is 131.151.141.46. I also have to register a MAC address on my network so I took my FreeNAS MAC and incremented the last digit by 1 and used this "fake" MAC to register as the Jail's MAC, which I also assigned under the Jail settings.

I still can not ping the outside world from my jail.

Any obvious settings out of place or any diagnostics I can try?

Capture0.PNG

Capture.PNG

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That screenshot looks wrong.. what version of FreeNAS are you using?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Step one.. PLEASE for the love of all that is holy tell me you are using UFS and not ZFS. If you are using ZFS, upgrade your server to the minimum system requirements before going further.

Step two.. upgrade FreeNAS to either 9.2.0 or 9.2.1.2 since the jails had some changes for the better.

reedjasonf

Dabbler
Step one.. PLEASE for the love of all that is holy tell me you are using UFS and not ZFS. If you are using ZFS, upgrade your server to the minimum system requirements before going further.

Step two.. upgrade FreeNAS to either 9.2.0 or 9.2.1.2 since the jails had some changes for the better.

It is a raidz. I believe raidz-1. That's the way the volume was set up before I inherited the NAS box and it's been working fine for years. I just confirmed that all the hardware I currently have is supporting ECC as the raidz hardware guide suggests. The only thing that I see wrong is that I only have 4 GBs of RAM where the guide says 16GB is minimum (although in my opinion I think this is overshoot for my application) but at any rate I'll upgrade the amount of RAM.

The reason I'm actually trying to get this jail to work is so I can backup my current ~4TB of data with crashplan so I can completely wipe that zpool and reinstall as a raidz3 with 5 disks and the latest build of FreeNAS. I don't have another place to put the ~4TB in the meantime while I change the zpool and add a disk to my current 4 disk set up. Crashplan seemed like the most economical way to do that rather than try to find another system and 4TB of disks.

Yatti420

Wizard
Absolute first priority is more RAM.. That is playing with fire...

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Back to the OP's original question.

When you say you "can't ping the outside world", do you mean you can't ping a hostname? Like www.google.com? If so, can you ping an IP address (like 8.8.4.4) directly? If you *CAN* do the latter, the problem would appear to be your DNS resolution. Check your settings for that, and check in /etc/resolv.conf in your jail for anything out of place.

If you CAN'T ping anything, hostname, or IP address, then the problem is more than likely routing related. Do a
Code:
netstat -nr
in the FreeNAS itself (not the jail), and make sure the gateway settings you see under default look right.

reedjasonf

Dabbler
Back to the OP's original question.

When you say you "can't ping the outside world", do you mean you can't ping a hostname? Like www.google.com? If so, can you ping an IP address (like 8.8.4.4) directly? If you *CAN* do the latter, the problem would appear to be your DNS resolution. Check your settings for that, and check in /etc/resolv.conf in your jail for anything out of place.

If you CAN'T ping anything, hostname, or IP address, then the problem is more than likely routing related. Do a
Code:
netstat -nr
in the FreeNAS itself (not the jail), and make sure the gateway settings you see under default look right.

I did mean I couldn't ping a hostname. I did what you said and it turns out I couldn't ping the hostname either (from inside the jail) I ran netstat -nr and got the following results (I've marked out my public IP just because I don't want every Andy knowing it): Everything looks ok I guess. I don't understand why the "###.###.###.0" IP is in there. The one ending in .60 is mine assigned by DHCP to the NAS box and I don't have IPv6 on my network so that's just garbage below. Now, is there a way to get DHCP to dynamically assign an IP to the jail? I think this might be my issue as my network doesn't like objects that don't use DHCP.

Capture.JPG

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The only thing that I see wrong is that I only have 4 GBs of RAM where the guide says 16GB is minimum (although in my opinion I think this is overshoot for my application) but at any rate I'll upgrade the amount of RAM.

Seriously? So if I were to say something like "FreeNAS® with ZFS typically requires a minimum of 8 GB of RAM in order to provide good performance and stability" or "If you don't have at least 8GB of RAM with ZFS or 2GB of RAM with UFS, you should consider getting more powerful hardware before using FreeNAS® to store your data. Otherwise, data loss may result." you'd still think that your RAM is fine? The reason I ask is because that's EXACTLY verbatim from the manual. So no, 8GB is the minimum recommended RAM for ANY configuration using ZFS. Even a single 1TB drive for a single user at home.

reedjasonf

Dabbler
So no, 8GB is the minimum recommended RAM for ANY configuration using ZFS. Even a single 1TB drive for a single user at home.

Seriously. Ever heard the expression, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it?" Obviously, ZFS doesn't require a minimum of 8GB for steady performance because we've been running FreeNAS with 4GB RAM for oh... like 7 years and we've never had a problem.

However, I fail to see how this affects my jail from being able to have full access to the network. At one point I was able to ping the jail IP from a nearby laptop but this only worked if I was connected to the same ethernet switch as the NAS. I was even able to connect to the jail via SSH and log into a user that I created. However, if I move too far away I lose the ability to communicate with the jail and the jail still can't "see" the internet

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Seriously. Ever heard the expression, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it?" Obviously, ZFS doesn't require a minimum of 8GB for steady performance because we've been running FreeNAS with 4GB RAM for oh... like 7 years and we've never had a problem.

Yes, we have. And you know what? Tons of people have argued the same shit.. before they lost their pool. And when I say lost I mean the pool becomes the same as /dev/random. They lost their data.. permanently. You either recover from backup or kiss the data goodbye. It doesn't hit everyone, but you'll know because you'll be begging for help and we'll basically tell you what a sucker you were for ignoring the recommendations. Feel free to read my noob guide as I've discussed this there too.

It does require 8GB of RAM for reliability(not performance), and that is because ZFS gets a bit aggressive with using RAM, and FreeNAS itself is a memory bloat since it loads most of the OS into RAM disks.

So yes, it does really require 8GB of RAM minimum. Feel free to argue more, but there's a few hundred people on this forum that have lost their pool because of the phrases "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" and "I can ignore those requirements since I'm so amazing that I know better than the people that work on FreeNAS daily".

So yeah, feel free to stick with the 4GB you have, but I'll tell you the same thing I tell other people...

If you don't have enough RAM the services and system can misbehave with no warnings or error messages evident. So upgrade to the minimum specs and then see if you still have a problem. But I'm not about to help someone that couldn't help themselves by simply observing our minimum requirements.

Good luck sir!

reedjasonf

Dabbler
... if anyone can comment on Crashplan headless systems...
If my NAS can communicate with a computer running the crashplan program and I can set up an SSH session between the two, should the crashplan program still work even if the NAS jail can't talk with resources on the internet? I still can't get the jail to communicate with the internet even with latest release of FreeNAS.

Lukas

Dabbler
I am just investigating the exact same problem. My Crashplan and Transmission jails work fine but I just installed a fresh Plex plugin and am seeing the same thing. No connection to the outside world in any way. Default gateway is set and appears in netstat -nr.
Now I am a little helpless. Any ideas?

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.