iXsystems users vs regular folks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If you've been in the forums for a few years you'd know that just a year ago they wanted to hand over all responsibility of the forums to a volunteer (the forums were badly broken and needed significant work.. and still do). Nobody wanted to step up (and who would for a forum that is as broken as ours?).

In all fairness, I was game for this but Jordan failed to follow through on providing the vBulletin license.

J

jkh

Huh, I remember it more as "I offered to provide the vBulletin license" and then everyone, including jgreco, got hung up in an argument regarding how much iXsystems would play, or not play, in the new system and how much confusion would result from also leaving the old system in place, since nobody was going to retire Xenforo just because there was a new kid on the block using old BB technology and promising to do a better job, and I never got any sort of recognizable green light that agreement had been reached and a vBulletin based Forum was going to be launched by some specific person or persons the minute the license was provided. If we look hard enough, I'm sure we can necromance a few threads with jgreco going "well wait, let's talk about this some more - what about X?", where X was some point of significant concern and/or paranoia about running a forum. I didn't blame him. It's a big and annoying job, but please don't paint this as "it fell through because Jordan withheld the license" - that license is still just sitting there, waiting to be put to some good use, and there's absolutely no benefit on my end to withholding it. I was the first one to call for a "fork" if it would resolve the longstanding iXsystems vs the Mods threads, remember?

So, in summary, it's still yours anytime you want it, @jgreco. You got the hosting set up and ready to go? I'll have James send you the key.
All I ask is that we try to do a cleaner hand-off this time, where your vBulletin rebel alliance makes it clear they're ready and willing to proceed with its attack on the death star rather than just flying aimless circles in space, endlessly trash-talking over the radio and fortifying yourselves with liquid courage. ;-)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Huh, I remember it more as "I offered to provide the vBulletin license" and then everyone, including jgreco, got hung up in an argument regarding how much iXsystems would play, or not play, in the new system and how much confusion would result from also leaving the old system in place, since nobody was going to retire Xenforo just because there was a new kid on the block using old BB technology and promising to do a better job, and I never got any sort of recognizable green light that agreement had been reached and a vBulletin based Forum was going to be launched by some specific person or persons the minute the license was provided.

I call BS.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-ban.15887/#post-80165

(Link into the staff area. Since that isn't public I won't quote your response. But the ball was in your court.)

I would sum up the way it ended up as we were cautiously interested in the possibility, and you were going to provide the old forum's license. We could then have evaluated the practicality of it, whether or not there was sufficient community support, etc. These things aren't simple. But we had at least some interest.

To your credit, things here have gone rather better than the had prior to your arrival. We've had some strange stuff. I've been de-moderator'ed, my Tapatalk stopped working over the summer, etc. But we haven't had massive disruptive changes crammed down our throats, the forum software is working without any significant complaints that I can think of, and little extras like SSL have slowly appeared, making it feel less like iX doesn't give a crap, which was the major driving factor.

So I'm not exactly unhappy with the status quo, but then again I was never one of the people who took extreme offense at the way things were pre-jkh. But to say that we weren't prepared to give it a go, well, come on, that's not fair and I'm calling you on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.