So you want some hardware suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hey Guys,
Anyone know if i could use 8gb ECC Crucial CT102472BA160B Memory with Supermicro X10SLM-F?
This memory is the only one that's available (easily) in Singapore. None from the list of tested memory in Supermicro Website (except kingston whose support was removed for 8gb ram stick).

While at it,
i also need to decide if i need more Memory.
I'm planning to build ZFS Z2 FreeNAS with FOUR 3TB WD Reds.

Is 4gb memory enough? or 8gb or do i need more ?
I am not sure on what parameter does the rule "1gb ram for 1 tb hdd" apply on? Usable hdd space (5.5tb for my build) or total hdd space (12tb)?
I do not plan on using deduplication.

Thanks for help.

Is that the one recommended by Crucial's tool? The 1.35V 8GB 1600 DIMMs they recommend are exactly the same as the ones Supermicro tested under the Micron brand (Crucial is Micron's consumer brand). They are the ones I'm running, with no problems so far.

DaWauZ

Dabbler
Hello, I'm now trying to get a HP Thin Client T5570 to work.
I have replaced the 1gb memory for a 2gb one, removed the 2gb flash module, and already installed the latest freenas on a usb drive. It is running.
I have a seagate momentus 500gb 2.5hdd, I would like to know if these kind of hybrid drives give some extra performance over a normal samsung eco green drive.
Or is it better to get a 1tb drive, I'll have to buy it then, its not really a problem but would like to know if the momentus would be faster when writing or reading.

zambanini

Patron
why do you want to rape a hp thinclient (freenas docs tell you..use 8gb ram or MORE) do not use green drives anyway, the will die soon in any enviroment.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hello, I'm now trying to get a HP Thin Client T5570 to work.
I have replaced the 1gb memory for a 2gb one, removed the 2gb flash module, and already installed the latest freenas on a usb drive. It is running.
I have a seagate momentus 500gb 2.5hdd, I would like to know if these kind of hybrid drives give some extra performance over a normal samsung eco green drive.
Or is it better to get a 1tb drive, I'll have to buy it then, its not really a problem but would like to know if the momentus would be faster when writing or reading.

Did you read anything at all? You need proper hardware for FreeNAS, not some half-assed thin client.

DaWauZ

Dabbler
Well yes I read. I have some experience with freenas.
It's still not an answer on my questions.

I only want to use it for some backup and maybe streaming that's all don't need ZFS for it.
And the thing fits in my cabinet. And I have the hardware which cost me nothing at all. It won't be turned on all days, only when needed.

So Will a momentus drive give more performance than a regular drive, maybe a green won't be the right one, which 2.5 inch is better then?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.