iXsystems users vs regular folks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
There's a lot of great info on this forum, but sometime there is conflicting guidance from different users. It would be nice if employees of iXsystems (or people they deem to speak for FreeNas) were identifiable with an image overlay on their profile pic (or other means).

If anyone has used Ubiquiti Networks forum, it's easy to tell who works for the company, and who doesn't.

Mlovelace

Guru
I'm sure the fine people at IXsystems think of themselves as "regular folks". ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
iX pretty much doesn't post here at all. Nobody at iX is paid to post to the forums. I've gotten devs to pop in and post from time to time. But by large and far iX as a whole is leaving everything "to the community" to manage. If you've been in the forums for a few years you'd know that just a year ago they wanted to hand over all responsibility of the forums to a volunteer (the forums were badly broken and needed significant work.. and still do). Nobody wanted to step up (and who would for a forum that is as broken as ours?).

The "community" is very much "to the exclusion of iX" with a few exception posts here and there. But if you exclude the forum admins like myself and dlavigne, I think the total number of posts made by all ix employees total is certainly less than 500 and possible less than 250. More often than not if an iX employee pops in the forums its because I emailed them asking if they could answer the question. iX doesn't really "make money" directly on the forums, so there's no pressing need to dump money and resources into the forums. This isn't an iXsystems thing. If you go to Lenovo forums or Dell forums there's a few paid employees that manage the forum software and handle moderation, but that's it. There usually aren't "paid" employees that post except in particular circumstances like a CVE or such.

L

L

From those I have talked to I think the general consensus is that it isn't a real community if the company gets too involved. I think it's great that they keep a firm separation between freenas and truenas. Most open source companies do this.. they add value to the free version for commercial version.

As far as communities go, except for some mean spirited gurus... this is a very well informed forum.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've found the Ubuntu forums to be useless. :/

L

L

@anodos and @cyberjock.. It is absolutely true.. the meanness increases exponentially to quality of info. A lot of people don't want to wade through it, thus creates product opportunity..... sells a lot of training/consulting :)

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I guess I'm a little confused. I've seen references to "we" in a manner which lead me to infer that the person making the comment is speaking on behalf of either FreeNAS or iXsystems. If that isn't the case, then I am mistaken.

I thought at least jgreco, cyberjock, dlavigne and jkh fell into the category of being able to speak on behalf of FreeNAS and/or iXsystems. True? False?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
And to add further clarification- I'm not requesting more involvement or less involvement from iXsystems. I just want to know who is able to speak on behalf of FreeNAS and iXsystems.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Seriously?
Earlier I linked to bugs.freenas.org, which contains a list of developers and other parties representing ixsystems. For the most part they do not frequent these boards, and (this is conjecture) if they post something it may or may not reflect the official position of ixsystems.

If you want official information, you can read the documentation (200+ pages), errata, and release announcements. If you want to contact a developer directly you can find their contact information on bugs.freenas.org, but don't expect responses. If you want consistent guidance from ixsystems employees, you can pay for a support contract.

D

dlavigne

IIRC, the names of iX employees include "FreeNAS Core Team". Mine does, though I'm on (pretty much am) the doc team.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
About the only person that truly speaks "on behalf of iX" is @jkh. He's the CTO for iXsystems. While Dru and I are on iXsystem's payroll we aren't paid to post. The forums are not considered part of my job description, but I do help out because I've been doing it so long I don't see a reason to stop. I do post and read the forums during "normal working hours" as answers to some customer's questions are answered very well in the forum and I choose to link to some posts from time to time. It is also often helpful to both TrueNAS and FreeNAS customers if 20 people complain about a particular problem I can get a dev to look at a thread and see if we can fix it. So there are indirect benefits that help iX directly.

Dru is paid to maintain the forums, but not post. She's responsible for the forum software, keeping the forums up, and moderating as required. But her posts themselves should be considered "her own words". Obviously anything she says is probably what the manual says and the manual is bought and paid for by iXsystems. So to an extent it's her own words, but the manual says the same thing she says, so you can take that her answer is as accurate as iX would provide if you were a customer. (if she disagrees with any of this and chooses to post please take her word over mine)

My posts have been and will always be my own. I may be asked to write up on a particular subject, but I will not write nor post anything that I wouldn't want to be quoted as saying myself later on. This was made clear many months ago and hasn't changed. In essence, I'm not a propaganda machine that is bought and paid for. If I'm going to say "FreeNAS Mini's are awesome!" it's because I truly believe it. If I didn't believe it then I wouldn't be posting it. I will say nothing before I will say something that I don't agree with. While I don't expect this to change in the future, if iX was going to expect me to write up and say things that I didn't agree with we'd have bigger internal problems because that's almost being dishonest. I'm not here to sell iX hardware but I'll definitely advocate for it if I feel it is a good choice for a particular user.

I have also been a starting point for users that have a Mini and have had problems and want to pay for support. I don't mind being their first contact with iX and I can hand them off to the proper person. It's not part of my job description but it is the right thing to do regardless. ;)

Anyone that's been around a while knows I will rap on iX if I feel they did something incorrect. Case and point the discussion about the old FreeNAS Mini that didn't have ECC RAM. I was so hard on iX that the thread was ultimately deleted because quite a few people got hot and bothered by that thread. It was very much a "community vs iXsystems". Back then there was no option to get a micrATX motherboard with ECC. Of course, as soon as the new Intel Atoms came out a FreeNAS Mini was released that did support ECC RAM. To me, this was iXsystems vindicating themselves that they will do what is best. Of course, the "best" 2 years ago was a Mini that didn't have ECC support because there were no such motherboards in existence.

My actions and posts on this forum are my own and do not necessarily represent iX. If you want me to respond to your problems in an official capacity you are welcome to buy a product from iX that has support and I will be happy to assist you. Unlike the forums, iXsystem's support is about as close to "white glove" as you can get. I've been extremely impressed with how well we treat our customers. I've tried to always treat the customer the way I'd like to be treated if I were calling a company for support. So far I haven't met a customer yet that has disagreed with us on that philosophy. I'm very proud of the support team we have at iX and I'm happy to be a part of the team. Buying our products with support pretty much means we'll help you out as much or as little as you need.

iXsystems does do single-ticket support on systems that aren't ours. If you have a problem you'd like iX to resolve and don't own our hardware you can definitely contact support and/or sales to arrange for 1-time support. I will refrain from discussing what is included, cost, and such since that portion of the support is outside of my job description. I just fix your box after you break it. ;)

J

jkh

I think you can view a list of iX people here: https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/freenas
Nope. Those are just FreeNAS developers - only a certain percentage (I'm not going to do the math) are actually iXsystems employees. There are a few volunteers here and there. :)

@cyberjock is correct - unless you read it from someone on the executive team, and that's pretty much just me in this Forum (other execs have accounts here, but they don't necessarily post), don't assume that it's the official opinion of iXsystems.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Nope. Those are just FreeNAS developers - only a certain percentage (I'm not going to do the math) are actually iXsystems employees. There are a few volunteers here and there. :)

@cyberjock is correct - unless you read it from someone on the executive team, and that's pretty much just me in this Forum (other execs have accounts here, but they don't necessarily post), don't assume that it's the official opinion of iXsystems.
So basically... when we want to know ixsystem's official position regarding how to configure / administer freenas we should refer to the 300+ page handbook rather than random forum posts? And for announcements it will be when you are speaking ex-cathedra? :)

Last edited:
J

jkh

So basically... when we want to know ixsystem's official position regarding how to configure / administer freenas we should refer to the 300+ page handbook rather than random forum posts? And for announcements it will be when you are speaking ex-cathedra? :)
That's correct. Random forum posts are exactly that: Random. The handbook attempts to distill all of that knowledge into one place and also gets kept up to date. Also, everything I say is ex cathedra. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.