Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.
10 Gig Networking Primer

10 Gig Networking Primer

ThreeDee

FreeNAS Experienced
Thanks
not having anything mission critical .. I can "afford" to play with free/super cheap stuff to live and learn with. I'll give these parts I'm getting a go and if they don't work out .. I'll wait for other free/super cheap stuff to grab and try that out. Billions of problem-free aggregate run-hours have to start somewhere I suppose.

I do have access to a few magic fix-it wands though if need-be :cool:

I appreciate your guys' knowledge and experience and time here on the forums... warnings/advice duly noted

..as a kid I had smaller Honda's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki dirt bikes that I mixed and matched parts with to get 1 or 2 functioning dirt bikes .. they weren't ideal, but they worked good and I had fun doing it. I didn't cry foul and blame Honda when a Suzuki part wouldn't mesh with it.. If I can get better than 110mb/s transfer speeds with un-recommended components, then I'll be happy and will have had fun setting it up and won't expect any help setting up stuff I shouldn't be setting up to begin with if it doesn't work out.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Thanks
not having anything mission critical .. I can "afford" to play with free/super cheap stuff to live and learn with. I'll give these parts I'm getting a go and if they don't work out .. I'll wait for other free/super cheap stuff to grab and try that out. Billions of problem-free aggregate run-hours have to start somewhere I suppose.

I do have access to a few magic fix-it wands though if need-be :cool:

I appreciate your guys' knowledge and experience and time here on the forums... warnings/advice duly noted

..as a kid I had smaller Honda's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki dirt bikes that I mixed and matched parts with to get 1 or 2 functioning dirt bikes .. they weren't ideal, but they worked good and I had fun doing it. I didn't cry foul and blame Honda when a Suzuki part wouldn't mesh with it.. If I can get better than 110mb/s transfer speeds with un-recommended components, then I'll be happy and will have had fun setting it up and won't expect any help setting up stuff I shouldn't be setting up to begin with if it doesn't work out.
So you're good to go then. Mainly it's very frustrating having people come to the forum with sour complaints when their system doesn't meet up to their unrealistic expectations after they spent good money following some random poorly informed Interwebz blog post. If you are happy to crank out your own "I own this mess" certificate, I heartily endorse that. Choice is good. Crazy choice might not be good. But well-informed choice is often the beginning of learning something new.

ThreeDee

FreeNAS Experienced
Thanks
oh... I have a slew of those particular certificates

Brezlord

FreeNAS Experienced
Thanks
I would like to confirm that the Solarflare SFN5122F works in FreeNAS 11.3-MASTER-201907310626 . Just plug and play no need to manually load drivers. All of the usual stuff works LAG, vLAN, etc.

SFN5122F.JPG

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Super Moderator
Thanks
I would like to confirm that the Solarflare SFN5122F works in FreeNAS 11.2. Just plug and play no need to manually load drivers. All of the usual stuff works LAG, vLAN, etc.
Are you saying that you have used it successfully?

Brezlord

FreeNAS Experienced
Thanks
I had a typo that I've fixed in my previous post. I'm testing on 11.3-MASTER-201907310626 not 11.2.

I have so far tested a 56GB SMB transfer back and forth with no issues. I'm testing on an IBM x3650 M3 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5670 @ 2.93GHz 32GB ram 4 x 72GB 10K SAS raid 0 on IBM M5015 raid controller (Machine only used for testing so no HBA) LAG with vLAN.

I have not had any issues with the card. If there are specific test you would like run just let me know.

tests.JPG