Issues with ISCSI. Lun removal & representation issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have had 2 issues with FreeNAS 9.1.1 in relation to iscsi that i am hoping someone can explain what happened.

The first issue was that i had 2 Extents within the same initiator/portal/target. Ill call them lun0 and lun1.
It turned out that i no longer needed lun0 but when i removed it and restarted the iscsi service, lun1 became lun0 in vmware at least. The data was still there but i did have to re-signature the disk and re-add to inventory all the vms.

initiator1/target1/lun0
initiator1/target1/lun1

The second issue was more recently when I was removing the above mentioned lun1 completely. By this point there was a shared initiator, 2 different portals, 2 different targets and each target had a different extent.

initiator1/target1/vmwarelun (for esxi5.5)
initiator1/target2/ntfslun (for a windows 2008 R2 server)

When i removed the configuration for target1 including the volume the extent was located on, target2's lun re-presented itself to windows as a new uninitialised device. After some trying and failing to get it back i re-initialised the device and quick formatted it. I ran a file recovery tool on it which found 24files but it did not recover them.

I am not sure why the removal of the other target/extent caused the second target/extent to present as a new device?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

D

dlavigne

If you have a test system, there is an experimental option for kernel iscsi that should be in the nightly version as of today: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/5180. Using this option requires a reboot. If you get a chance to try it, let us know if it resolves the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.