Issues creating, removing, or writing to ZFS volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

kranzel

Explorer
Hello,

I have a new system build that I am trying to get freenas to run on but am having an issue as outlined below.

Freenas installs fine, I can configure almost any setting without issue. However, the moment I try to work with storage systems, I have issues.

For example, sometimes I can add a ZFS pool, it appeared to work, then when I start writing data, using CIFS shares, it works for a bit then the system hangs. It then takes three reboots before the system will even load.

When creating a ZFS pool, sometimes it hangs during creation, see the steps I follow below.
Step by Step

1. Log into web interface
2. Select “Storage” from the top list.
3. Click “ZFS Volume Manager”
4. I enter in the “Volume Name” NO Encryption, select all my drives, choose Raidz and then click “Add Volume” I then get the “ZFS Volume Manager” screen and that’s were we stop. On the console I see the following messages “GEOM_ELI: Encryption: AES-XTS 215 Crypto: Hardware”. That message appears 6 times and the system is done, it just hangs. Console is frozen, gui is frozen.

Upon reboot, sometimes the volume is there, sometimes not?

Removing the volume produces the same inconstant results as adding the volumes.

System Config
AMD FX 4130 Quad Core Processor
8GB RAM
Asus M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard (AMD SB950) Chipset.
6x2TB Seagate 7.2000RPM Barracuda’s
ACHI Enabled
HD Audio Disabled in BIOS (That is the only setting changed)
Latest BIOS version applied
I have tried Freenas 9.1.1 and 9.2.0BETA

The system also appears to reboot at times, I am swapping the power supply but I am wondering if anyone else has had any other issues or has any ideas as to what might be the issue?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If the machine is rebooting at times you shouldn't be using that machine. It has some kind of problem. Not sure if that's related to your current issues. But since we don't know why its rebooting its hard to say what other consequences there may be.

kranzel

Explorer
Thanks for the reply cyberjock.

I should clarify, it only reboots with Freenas installed. I know that seems weird, but I ran windows 7 on it, with prime 95 for over 24 hours with no issues. Install freenas and it just reboots at times. Again, though, it seem centered around disk activity.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If it only reboots with FreeNAS installed its very likely your hardware isn't compatible with FreeBSD. Not that uncommon for AMD hardware or COTS servers.

kranzel

Explorer
@cyberjock

Thanks again for the info. Do you happen to know which piece may not be compatible? I checked the compatibility lists in the wiki and everything I have seems to be supported, unless I missed something.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. Unfortunately its hard with onboard stuff because some of the chips might match a given model number but be slightly modified making them incompatible with FreeBSD. The "best" advice I can give is to try an Intel based machine.

I know alot of people think I advocate for Intel too frequently, but Intel also has the virtue of spending big money on development of drivers for FreeBSD. That's one reason why Intel NICs are just amazing. AMD doesn't have the kind of money to pay developers for FreeBSD. In fact, this summer I read that they had laid off 1/2 of their Linux driver developers. So AMD is probably going to be a poor choice for linux soon too(if it isn't already).

Yes, I was one of those guys that just blindly buys Intel CPUs and Intel SSDs(I don't buy Intel motherboards.. too many weird random problems in my opinion).

Starpulkka

Contributor
Funny, i have exact motherboard original bios but i have FX 4100 processor with kinstone ecc memorys and intel nic, i got 4 those systems with those setups and everything have been superfine. (earlier i had s#loads of broblem my intel x58 system but luckily zfs handled intel like a master with no permament file corruption.) Yours cpu needs 1602 bios. Did you enabled ecc memory support on and then tested memtest ecc mode your hardware? I use 1 year old freenas (dont remember version but i had disable turbo core tecnology because it was not supportet in freebsd kernel version yet. dont know is it supported in today.) And remember setup your e mail as its might be only live way to you get ecc error notifications, besides of memtest (yeah not server stuff), if wanna be super extra careful you do quick memtest before start scrubbing. My lottery on your machine is take cpu turbo off, powersupply is failing or memory is not good or motherboard bios, also check your hdd cables and test hdds with seatools and smartctl (you did test hdds also before take them to use did you? In my country if you buy new hdds you have 7days to test them are they good, after that time you got shitty replacement drives). You also got 24pin&8pin power cables connected on motherboard?
Just a thougt:
( I think ill ask this forum more information on ecc and does freenas halt system or scub if ecc error is occured, i quess system dont stop if ecc error occurs at not server motherboard. Or could it be that you got ecc memory error and system shutdowns? that would be cool stuff on home hardware.)
Sorry for hard readable text, seems that im not goot in english as im getting older.
Does your systems works on older versions of freenas like 8.x

Starpulkka

Contributor
Edit: Looks like that im lucky with my M5A97 R2.0 Motherboards then :p . When i looked new intel hardware there was zero options for my 6000€ low-cost budget. But now theres a topic in here freenas forums those intel mini itx with ecc and ipmi support what im considering to get on next server. Edit: or not.. 300$ for mini motherboard, thats a huge no for me. :(

kranzel

Explorer
Hi,

Okay, so just to update everyone in case others have this issue.

The HDD have been used for over a year now in a Hardware raid system, a 3WARE card without issues, so I didn't think it was the HDD but tested just to be sure. Memtest was fine and a Prime 95 for over 24 hours without issue. Furthermore, I tried freenas in an a slightly older, perhaps a year or so AMD system with other issues, but not the same ones.

Then I switched to my Intel based system and sure enough, not one issue. Booted and has been running now for almost three days. I have copied over all of my data, which is roughly 7.5TB and not a hitch until today. However, the new issue seems to be an actual HDD issue, which I will post about in another thread.

So, in any case. I personally don't care about Intel vs AMD, I clearly have both. But in my case, the Intel version did work and with virtually no headaches.

If I had to guess, I would suspect that the issue is to do with some sort of driver issue, but I cannot confirm that.

So in the end, I am not much help to anyone running in the same situation as I couldn't fix mine, but at least now you know.

Now, I just need to figure out what processor to put into this thing as it is currently running an i7, which I suspect is little overkill for my freenas box. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.