Is ZFS.setup the same as RAID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

runeo

Cadet
Hi thar.

Bear in mind that I am relatively new to NAS in general :confused:

I installed FreeNAS on a 3 SSD-disc setup. Installation went smoothly, and was easy and quick to set up for web-interface.
immediately when engaging the interface, I had the option (from the Wizard) to set up my disks with not so many alternatives. I could choose FreeNAS to choose for me automaticly, and I had the RAID0 option. I skipped this step, and the whole Wizard for that matter, and chose to create a volume. This let me choose the other two disks to be a part of this one volume, and I could choose something called ZFS, with striping, mirroring, cashing, and logging. I chose the other two disks with the Mirroring option, as far as I know this should be "equal" to RAID5.

Is this a proper setup for my disks? Whilst copying from network over the a share on my freenas-server, I got horrendous results (400kb/sec) on gbit cards.
My initial thought was to set up these disks (SATA1-3) to a RAID5 or RAID6 (i'd prefer RAID6).

Can someone help me out, as I'm a bit out of my wits here.o_O

All help appreciated! Thanks!:rolleyes:

edit: typos

melloa

Wizard
@runeo,

We would need a little bit more information to better help you.

FreeNAS uses a software raid based on ZFS. That allow you to create volumes with several different configuration, from no redundancy to multiple disks redundancy. @cyberjock has a great guide that explains everything you need: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Use SSD for boot is great. You also can use a USB sticks. You can have one or more in mirror so avoid down time in case the boot device fails.

Not too sure about use SSD for your data, as they are expansive and not as big as regular HDDs.

Take a look at the link above and came back with more info and questions.

gpsguy

Please provide us with detailed hardware information and FreeNAS version per the forum rules st the top of the page.

Are you using a desktop pic with s crappy NIC?

gpsguy

Oh, and are you copying via a wired gigabit network or wirelessly?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I chose the other two disks with the Mirroring option, as far as I know this should be "equal" to RAID5.
Not quite.

Yes, ZFS in general provides RAID setups. It can set up volumes in many different arrangements. A mirror is RAID1, with two or more disks all having the same contents. This gives no more capacity than a single disk.
RAIDZ1 and RAIDZ2 are where multiple disks are combined to give higher capacity. For three SSDs at today's typical capacities, RAIDZ1 should be fine.

Consider Intel network cards if you want high network throughput, and decent switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.