FreeNas sofware sees disks as mfid not as ada

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMan

Cadet
Hi there,
Have IBM X3500 series server with 3TB (3hard drives Sata) and about 48GB RAM. This server has the MegaRaid installed and controlled by LSI, for the time being I have to put each drive as a different array RAID 0. There is no option where I can simply disable this RAID 0.
Anyways. I have installed the latest version of FreeNas downloaded from:
http://www.freenas.org/download-freenas-release.html
on a USB key attached to the motherboard of the system.
- FreeNas boots fine, on view disks I see 3 each disks as 'mfid0......930GB, mfid1.....930GB, mfid2.....930GB', whereas any article I choose to see there view disk comes up as 'ada0....ada1.....ada2 etc'. Is my freeNas software seeing these disks properly? or do I need to do something? Please help in steps.
-I have already re-installed freeNas a couple of times.

danb35

Hall of Famer
That's a result of your using a RAID controller as a RAID controller. Don't do that. Either flash the firmware to IT mode, or replace the controller with one that can be used that way.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Please see the LSI sticky. Your card is operating in dumb-RAID mode, and needs to be in IT mode. If your controller can't be bapped over into IT mode, then you need to replace it with a real HBA. The 9211-8i is the go-to for this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.