SOLVED Is ZFS an option or automatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtech

Cadet
Please excuse my ignorance. I am a student and only want to use FreeNAS at the moment for simple Windows backup on two machines, a laptop and desktop. It's a home environment without the need for encryption at the moment as nothing is mission critical, but it presents an opportunity to delve into the freenas world with the smallest first step.
The machine I have for freenas is an old hp media center with a 300G drive, dual core 64bit Intel processor and two Gig of Ram. During my reading of many posts I see that I don't have the hardware at the moment for a full fledged feature rich installation. No raid needed, no streaming media, nothing other than a need for a storage spot to back up over the network on a weekly basis. The machine has no OS and I have downloaded and prepared the USB stick. I haven't found it specifically stated if encryption (ZFS?) is an option or is default.
What prompts my question is that I am hoping the substandard system I have at my disposal would run much better without encryption. The only thing that I intend to store here are backups from which I could recover either of the Win systems if necessary. Thanks in advance for your time.

warri

Guru
You can choose between UFS and ZFS file systems. Encryption is of course optional and supported (only) for ZFS.

For your use case, a UFS pool would probably be sufficient. You can't create jails on UFS volumes, though - but you stated that you don't need any plugin functionality anyway.

Please also have a look into the excellent FreeNAS manual.

gtech

Cadet
Thanks, warri. I jumped head first and tried to cram and missed a basic thing. I'm setting up now by "the Manual". ha. I appreciate your time.

gtech

Cadet
Now how to mark "solved"? Thanks. Didn't find in edit options on original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.