need help for my setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

muCkk

Cadet
hey,
at the moment i'm using a synology ds210j (2bay, 800mhz,128mb ram). now i want to upgrade by building my own nas. it should have at least 2 bays (maybe better 4 for if the disks run full) and a cpu which is strong enough to use encryption (does freenas support any kind of encryption yet? is it possible to use truecrypt for example?) and have a proper network speed. would an atom work (for example AT4NM10T-I)?
also, how much ram do i need? i thought 4gb would be more than enough, but freenas 8 requires at least 4gb. it would be great to be able to host a teamspeak or even a minecraft server.

B

Bohs Hansen

Intel Atom d525 and AMD Zacate perform about equal in benchmarks i've read, Zacate sligtly above. The AMD NeoII however seems to beat both the Zacate and the Atom, but it also draws a bit more power afaik. (and not so many boards with it on the market)

Biggest memory hunger in FreeNAS comes from ZFS, 8GB is recommended. Thats another reason to go for the AMD's over the Atom, since Atom is limited to 4GB via the chipset.

The HP ProLiant MicroServer is a cheap and easy solution, see f.ex. this thread and others around the forum: http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?569-HP-ProLiant-MicroServer-FreeBSD-ZFS-AFP-Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.