Is my old computer overkill for NAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelvin Su

Cadet
Hi Folks,

Well finally decided to upgrade my NAS solution. I have been using a Ready NAS Duo for a few years now, but the performance is pretty disappointing. I think I need to find another solution.

I use my NAS for streaming to a couple of RPI XBMC machines, storing photos, and for a few other random things.

I'm also planning to build a new computer in the near future so i'll have the guts of my existing one to use... But i'm just wondering if it will be a bit of over kill or not. The chip is a Intel Q9550 and it has 4GB of DDR2 RAM. Since the NAS will be always on, I'm thinking it might be a bit too power hungry.

Other option is to build a NAS from bottom up and convert the old PC into a HTPC... your thoughts?

Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, the CPU would probably do fine performance-wise. But ZFS needs lots of RAM. The minimum recommended is 8GB, which is the maximum you can put on that CPU. So the reality of it is its necessarily a good fit. If you plan to store more than 5-10TB or so of data, you are going to need more RAM. There's no "line" to know when you need more. You'll know because performance will suddenly tank.. badly. I went from over 1GB/sec to less than 10MB/sec when I had too little RAM.

Not to mention, ZFS should only be used with ECC RAM. You should read through the stickies and the manual before going further.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.