Is it safe to import a pool created with newer freenas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay3443

Dabbler
Is it safe to import a pool created with 9.2.1.8 x64 into older 9.2.1.5 x64 version of freenas?

solarisguy

Guru
It might be safe, but it might be incompatible.

As far I understand, it would only be compatible if disks with 512-byte sectors are being used.

solarisguy

Guru
I am sorry, I have realized that my answer was too short on details.

You can import, on the other hand if you need to replace an Advanced Format disk you might have problems.

Jay3443

Dabbler
I am sorry, I have realized that my answer was too short on details.

You can import, on the other hand if you need to replace an Advanced Format disk you might have problems.

This pool is on WD4tb, are those Advanced Format?

solarisguy

Guru
You have to have an exact model to learn, as Western Digital made 4TB hard drive models with either 512-byte sectors or with Advanced Format. Or take a flashlight and a magnifying glass and look for AF symbol on the drive label.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Are you 100% sure that you have to go back?

Jay3443

Dabbler
You have to have an exact model to learn, as Western Digital made 4TB hard drive models with either 512-byte sectors or with Advanced Format. Or take a flashlight and a magnifying glass and look for AF symbol on the drive label.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Are you 100% sure that you have to go back?

Trying to get my plex server up and running, , I have a backup server but its running the older freenas, Id have to pull the new drives and import it into the working plex. Im waiting back on the plex issue I might still find a solution, I think these WD green drives are AF. So I think I might be screwed, my last resort would be to rescan and customize my media library.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I don't think he has to worry about sector size. I think he just needs to worry about zfs versions. If I remember correctly there was azfs update at some time between those build that could cause compatibility issues if he updated his pool.

Jay3443

Dabbler
I don't think he has to worry about sector size. I think he just needs to worry about zfs versions. If I remember correctly there was azfs update at some time between those build that could cause compatibility issues if he updated his pool.

I think I remember reading something like the older freenas might try to correct something and wipe out the pool but cant remember what it was talking about.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The entire 9.2.1.x release chain uses the same ZFS version. So to keep it short and sweet you could take a pool from 9.2.1.9 and import it into 9.2.1 if you wanted to and it would work.

The whole 512-byte/sector vs 4k/sector is totally unrelated to the FreeNAS version except for potential bugs and such during changeover. But that has no bearing on your ability to import the pool or how safe it is to import the pool.

Jay3443

Dabbler
The entire 9.2.1.x release chain uses the same ZFS version. So to keep it short and sweet you could take a pool from 9.2.1.9 and import it into 9.2.1 if you wanted to and it would work.

The whole 512-byte/sector vs 4k/sector is totally unrelated to the FreeNAS version except for potential bugs and such during changeover. But that has no bearing on your ability to import the pool or how safe it is to import the pool.

Thanks for all the info guys, i got plex running again so i wont need to resort to this option after all. got it running after i found out the difference between chmod -r and chmod -R :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.