Is it possible to create a WIFI router with FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joris

Cadet
I'm planning on building a server with the feature of serving as a WIFI router. I was planning on installing the Asus PCE-AC68 (WIFI Card). My question is if it is even possible to build a WIFI hotspot over FreeNAS and will it be possible to install the drivers for this particular card on FreeNAS.

krikboh

Patron
FreeNAS does not include WiFi drivers and they can not be added without compiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm planning on building a server with the feature of serving as a WIFI router. I was planning on installing the Asus PCE-AC68 (WIFI Card). My question is if it is even possible to build a WIFI hotspot over FreeNAS and will it be possible to install the drivers for this particular card on FreeNAS.

I suggest you do some reading on network design before you try out any crazy ideas.

FreeNAS is not a router OS, much less one for WiFi. pfSense is a router OS, but it's also not meant for WiFi.

The solution? Buy an Asus RT-AC68U or RT-N66U. If you want a fancy router, build one and use the Asus as an access point.

Whattteva

Wizard
The problem with wireless cards is also that they're not even guaranteed to work the same from one chipset to the next.
For example, WDS support is very iffy if you are mixing Broadcom-based routers with Atheros-based routers in one network.

rogerh

Guru
I agree, putting a wireless access point in the same box as a router makes no sense, unless perhaps you are a telco trying to save money. Have a router somewhere handy for a router, put switches where they make your wiring easier, and have a wireless access point in the ideal position, especially if you have a big or thick walled house. POE is handy for the access point, especially if it works best on a ceiling.

SwampRabbit

Explorer
I suggest you do some reading on network design before you try out any crazy ideas.
FreeNAS is not a router OS, much less one for WiFi. pfSense is a router OS, but it's also not meant for WiFi.
The solution? Buy an Asus RT-AC68U or RT-N66U. If you want a fancy router, build one and use the Asus as an access point.

I agree attempting to use your NAS to do any major network functions is a bad idea.
I recommend setups like the above, they work very very well.
You can also use a wireless PCI-e card with a pfSense or other software router.

If pfSense seems too difficult to use there are other options such a Untangle, which some people prefer.
Also if you want to save some money, pretty much any newer wireless router can be turned into an access point.
But the Asus RT-AC68U or RT-N66U family is wonderful, especially with the Merlin firmware loaded.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I agree attempting to use your NAS to do any major network functions is a bad idea.
I recommend setups like the above, they work very very well.
You can also use a wireless PCI-e card with a pfSense or other software router.

If pfSense seems too difficult to use there are other options such a Untangle, which some people prefer.
Also if you want to save some money, pretty much any newer wireless router can be turned into an access point.
But the Asus RT-AC68U or RT-N66U family is wonderful, especially with the Merlin firmware loaded.

pfSense's WiFi support is a mess, thanks to FreeBSD's lack of modern support. Last I checked, only a few 802.11n chipsets worked and only at g speeds!

Knowltey

Patron
Yeah, nowhere near what FreeNAS is designed for. Wrangling it into that purpose would be way more work and headache then needed when there are many other better solutions out there for robust wireless routers. You can take a look at getting DD-WRT, OpenWRT, or Tomato, or looking into perhaps one of the routers that Buffalo sell with pre-installed DD-WRT.

I believe there are a few distros out there as well that allow you to be able to make an old computer into a router as well if you want to go that router, but I'm not familiar with those so I can't recommend any there.

Status
Not open for further replies.