Is FreeNAS even right for me?

dashtesla

Explorer
So I've been struggling with this for a while: https://www.ixsystems.com/community...ory-multi-user-permission-same-dataset.81470/

And I don't think i've made anything clear there either it was a complete flop that thread so I'm just gonna make a better one and explain myself a little better.

Lately I've had a ton of permission issues with FreeNAS, all I want to do is to have active directory users admins/guests users in general with different levels of permissions access the same dataset, a good example here is a media folder where you want people that come into your home to be able to read data but not write or accidentally delete something, but you want your admin user to be able to write so you can add more content to that folder.

Now for many reasons beyond this thread and my nerdiness I use active directory at home for all my authentication needs, the DC is running off Windows Server 2019 Datacenter, a standalone VM that only does AD and other network stuff (DC, DNS, DHCP).

Whenever I try to set the permissions from Windows I get permission denied, and it doesn't seem to be only restricted to FreeNAS, it seems to be something with samba i've been looking everywhere online trying to figure out even looking for log errors and anything that might be wrong with my AD DC but nothing seems to work I even considered if Microsoft implemented something new with 2019 AD that samba just can't handle yet.

But something as simple as a folder called 'entertainment' and having the FreeNAS ad admin user as owner, an ACL for full control and another for read only (and yes i did try the beta version of FreeNAS with the ACL editor) and I also tried deleting all the permissions from windows and setting them up on windows explorer authenticating with my AD DC and giving the proper rights even change the permissions of all files everything you can think of.

This is a 'production' server which i also have other uses for and this has been a hassle to deal with, and it doesn't help i'm going through depression and stuff that doesn't work properly drives me to insanity so my options are:

- Try to make FreeNAS work
- Try to get ZFS to work on Linux (something like OpenMediaVault or even Ubuntu Server plus ZFS) and potentially have a newer version of samba or other repositories to tinker which may even magically fix everything by being the latest version.
- Surrender to Microsoft and use ReFS (highly unlikely considering how poorly designed and buggy it is)
- Use Proxmox to handle ZFS and then create a massive VHD and present that to a windows VM and just use Windows to handle permissions instead of samba
- iSCSI to Windows from FreeNAS (however i can't get anything over 750GB to work properly and my storage is 8x5TB so I can't deal with that either and might mess up data scrubbing etc since it's one single big file).
- Hardcore Gluster setup.

I'm thankful for FreeNAS and TrueNAS, it's a really good piece of software and the implementation of ZFS really makes me wanna go out of my way to try to make FreeNAS work for me, I don't even think the permission issues are related to FreeNAS but at the same time it is a problem I can't seem to figure out on my own and thus this thread, at this point I don't think that Active Directory is stable enough and I have no idea if it's Samba or Domain issues or what is causing it, but considering the amount of time I spent trying to make it all work and it still refuses to work well..