iocage jail configuration disappeared after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrodonkey

Explorer
I've had this happen to me a few times playing with jails: the iocage configuration for a new jail disappears on reboot. I have two jails that have been running fine for a couple weeks since I started experimenting with iocage, but when creating a new one I've seen the configuration disappear after a reboot and the jail is lost (/mnt/iocage/jail/myjail directory is empty).

Has this happened to anyone else? I am running 11.1-U2.

D

dlavigne

This should be fixed with the newer version of iocage coming in 11.2-BETA1 (due out in a few weeks). If the new version doesn't resolve it, please report it at bugs.freenas.org.

fracai

Guru
I have so many questions :)
When did this loss bug get introduced? 11.0 with iocage? Dropping jails seems like more of a critical error that shouldn't be pushed out to 11.2. Couldn't this be put in to U5? Anything that would be earlier than 11.2?

*edit: I didn't realize U4 was out already

D

dlavigne

I have so many questions :)
When did this loss bug get introduced? 11.0 with iocage? Dropping jails seems like more of a critical error that shouldn't be pushed out to 11.2. Couldn't this be put in to U5? Anything that would be earlier than 11.2?

I didn't say there was a bug. We are in the middle of a jails transition and the newer version of iocage (which probably addresses this user's problem) is available now in nightlies and will be released in BETA1, due out in a few weeks. If the newer version doesn't address his issue, he can report a bug.

Astrodonkey

Explorer
Yes. I am not too concerned because I know integration with iocage is not fully baked yet. I have had some strange problems with it, but they all seem to be known and I assume in good time all will be well. Nothing important relies on my iocage jails.

Even though my NAS is not "mission critical" and is only used in my home, I've worked in the software industry long enough to know better than to run nightly builds on anything I care about. That said, I am glad this is being worked out and look forward to a new version.

Astrodonkey

Explorer
So, I updated from to 11.1-U2 to U4 and my iocage broke. I gather from the comment above this won't be fixed until 11.2.
Code:
root@freenas:~ # iocage list
sabnzbd is missing it's configuration, please destroy this jail and recreate it.

I can see in the mount point the configuration is indeed gone.

Chrisrehn

Dabbler
So, I updated from to 11.1-U2 to U4 and my iocage broke. I gather from the comment above this won't be fixed until 11.2.
Code:
root@freenas:~ # iocage list
sabnzbd is missing it's configuration, please destroy this jail and recreate it.

I can see in the mount point the configuration is indeed gone.

just reboot FreeNAS and everything comes back again.

Last edited by a moderator:
This should be fixed with the newer version of iocage coming in 11.2-BETA1 (due out in a few weeks). If the new version doesn't resolve it, please report it at bugs.freenas.org.
I am running 11.2-STABLE and if I create any jail, it disappears after every restart.
When I run iocage start <jail name> in a shell, I get an error saying that the configuration is missing and the jail should be destroyed. I can't even recover any snapshots I created.

I think this is the issue that is supposed to be resolved in 11.3 ... but does anyone know if the Nightlies might have an earlier fix?

D

dlavigne

I am running 11.2-STABLE and if I create any jail, it disappears after every restart.
When I run iocage start <jail name> in a shell, I get an error saying that the configuration is missing and the jail should be destroyed. I can't even recover any snapshots I created.

I think this is the issue that is supposed to be resolved in 11.3 ... but does anyone know if the Nightlies might have an earlier fix?

That should definitely be reported at bugs.freenas.org. Post the issue number here after you create it so others can follow its resolution.

hervon

Patron

There is no such thing as 11.2-STABLE... you either have beta 1 (that i recommend you update to beta 2) or beta 2 (if that's the case please report the bug as suggested above...)

I have found that although snapshots go missing, if you run iocage export, you can import the latest archive after the jail disappears. It's not a great solution, but at least you don't have to re-create the whole thing each time.

Ixian

Patron
I'm on 11.2 beta 2, same thing happened. Rebooted and the iocage jail configurations are gone. Unfortunately I didn't run an export first so I'll need to recreate them. Fortunately it's a beta so they were just test jails. Holy cow though, what a nasty bug.

I don't have permission to view the ticket above so I can't see any updates. Anything new with this?

Baenwort

Explorer
Anyone have a good, easy guide to how the iocage export command works and how to use it to avoid this bug?

Ixian

Patron
It's just iocage export <jailname>. Then copy where you want.

I don't recommend using beta 2 for anything but testing though. In addition to this bug it's not completely stable; I've had mine reboot spontaneously several times (which is how I discovered this problem). My production FreeNAS is still on 9.10-U6.

Status
Not open for further replies.