Intermittent Loss of Access to Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

wraith

Contributor
Hi,

Recently I've been unable to access files on my FreeNAS server. I was able to previously.

In some instances, file names are visible but have a grey "x" against their icon [refer attached image]. In other locations, entire folder names have disappeared. The size of the volume suggests the data is still there, just can't see it.

Every now and then, everything will be restored... And then lost again...

My first thought is an Authentication issue, however, I haven't changed any settings [that I'm aware of] to introduce such an issue.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• FreeNAS-9.3-File Access Error.JPG
    FreeNAS-9.3-File Access Error.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 190

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

wraith

Contributor
Hi Mirfster, you are correct, I am running a Windows 7 64-bit network at home. When you're referring to "network connections" do you mean the physical connections [eg cable]? I would've thought that if I could access the WebGUI [which I can] then, in theory, I shouldn't be offline [as can access to the server].

Mirfster

When you're referring to "network connections" do you mean the physical connections [eg cable]?
Yes, was wondering if there were network issues.

As far as the "Offine", when you Right-Click on any of those items do you have "Always Available Offline" enabled? If so, then that is perhaps part of why they are appearing as such (in conjunction with not being able to access the file/folder on the Share).

Example:
upload_2016-2-28_9-6-41.png

wraith

Contributor
And just as I go to respond to this thread... All the file are visible again. Although I'm glad I've got them again, I would still like to figure out what the issue was [is?] should the issue reoccur.

I hadn't set the folders/shares up to be available offline [wouldn't have the space to cache on my 256Gb SSD drive!]. If this self performed, I'd be a little worried :P

Mirfster

Per this article, they suggest disabling the "Offline Files" Service. However, I do not know if you have anything else dependent on that service. As well, the registry entries provided have an incorrect extra space in them; so if you try this I would simply suggest that you do it via the Services Control Panel instead.

You could give it a whirl and see if it resolves you issue. If so and it does not cause any other issues, then feel free to "Disable" the Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.