Losing Access to CIFS Shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

wraith

Contributor
Hi All,

I completed my first FreeNAS build a few months ago. Since then I've been experimenting with it's capabilities. It's a powerful OS [much more capable than my QNAP TS-410]. However, I'm struggling with an intermittent issue with, what I believe is user authentication and access from Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit.

My system is setup with ten drives organised as follows:
* 2 x 1Tb WD Red in Mirror [vdev1];
* 8 x 3Tb WD Red in RaidZ2 [vdev2]

Both vdev's are shared using CIFS as follows:
* vdev1 is shared as 'Documents';
* vdev2 is shared as 'Media'

Occasionally [it's infrequent but annoying when it does occur] I'll lose access to one or both of the shares. Sometimes turning CIFS off and back on again works [but not always]. Other times it seems to sort itself out somehow. At one point I identified a continuing loss of mapped drives to a setting in Bitdefender.

The issue reoccurred last night and it's preventing me from fully committing all my data, movies etc. to the server.

Currently, when I attempt to access the 'Documents' share, Windows asks me to login and presents me with the Windows Security dialog [refer attached screenshot]. Entering my password does not appear to work as I am, shortly after, presented with the Open Folder dialog box [refer attached picture]. However, accessing the 'Media' share is not a problem and I haven't been requested to login since the share was first created and users assigned.

The security settings, within FreeNAS, for both shares are the same [screenshots of both are attached]. I based them on M0nkey's YouTube video on setting permissions in YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxggaE935PM]

I've read what the Open Folder dialog box has to say about multiple connections but I'm not sure how to put this into context nor check if it is what is causing the issue.

There are other oddities such as iTunes copying TV shows into the appropriate folder but refusing to copy movies. However, I can create folders from Windows Explorer. Again, security settings for both folders are the same.

In this instance of this issue I have i) attempted to cycle CIFS; ii) reset my password; iii) reapplied user permissions; iv) reset the Owner group. All to no avail.

I'm not sure whether this is a FreeNAS or Windows/CIFS issue. Would appreciate any assistance or advice in attempting to isolate and resolve the issue.

Attachments

• FreeNAS Access Issue - Media Permissions.JPG
    FreeNAS Access Issue - Media Permissions.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 308
  • FreeNAS Access Issue - Documents Permissions.JPG
    FreeNAS Access Issue - Documents Permissions.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 329
  • FreeNAS Access Issue - Open Folder Dialog.JPG
    FreeNAS Access Issue - Open Folder Dialog.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 307
  • FreeNAS Access Issue - Windows Security.JPG
    FreeNAS Access Issue - Windows Security.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 315

Cybix

Dabbler
I have a similar issue too with CIFS permissions

Running 9.3.1 and had some issues on 9.3.0 (9.10 does not work for me with LACP/LAG errors and "no network error 50 and error 51 among others").

When making dataset say "Media" on say "Drive_1" all works fine with log-in once share is made in FreeNAS. (Ubuntu 14.04 and windows7 ultimate).

New Dataset "Data" say on Drive_2. All works fine too.

My problem is similar in that everything works (for now). (No Internet at this point).

Opening the Internet and install plex plug-in and a separate jail with VirtualBox, then close Internet again (Off-line NAS)

I then get the same problems with username/password will not work/log-in. (I don't have mapped drives or saved username/password)

Only way I have been able to fix this so far and does not always work is going to the root (top dataset made with the drive volume, say drive_1 and reset the user to root and group to wheel and Set permission recursively). After this go back to Media dataset (under this) and reset user/group and I have access again.
*Note the jails no longer work after this and you need to change all datasets user/group.
*Note Also that so far this only seems to be a problem after installing the jails.
*Deleting the Dataset "Media" and deleting the share and remaking them still does not work
*Rebooting FreeNAS or CIFS helps at times but mostly not at this point for this issue

Jails installed on Drive_1, Drive_1 shares get messed up where drive_2 shares still work.

The only difference I can see apart for the OS to access is I set the dataset to Permission Type: "Unix" as I thought "Windows" only worked from windows 8 onwards, but not tried that again yet.

Cybix

Dabbler
Update

The Plex plug-in seems to been causing my problems after a lot of reinstalls of testing

Status
Not open for further replies.