Intel NIC on motherboard not being recognized

ronaldnutter

Cadet
Installed FreeNAS today using an Gibabyte B460M D3H motherboard. The specs from Gigabyte's website (https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B460M-D3H-rev-10/sp#sp) says that it is using an Intel chipsit. FreeNAS didnt see the ethernet hardware. Was able to use a USB C Ethernet adapter which is working before now.

Since Intel is the preferred network card, I was surprised when FreeNAS didnt see it.
Is there some information I can gather to possibly get this included in the next update ?

While I would prefer not to have to buy a nic, I am open to that.
Any suggestions on which one is known to work ?

Ron

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
According to Gigabyte, this uses an Intel i219-V network PHY. FreeBSD support for this PHY in the em driver has been spotty in the past. If that specific rev of the PHY on the board isn't detected in FreeNAS, then it's either too new or too old. What we know works reliably are those Intel Gigabit NICs branded as 1000/PROs. These are pretty inexpensive on Amazon.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I would say an i350 based Intel NIC should be your first choice. Those can also be found used on eBay for pretty reasonable prices (under $50). I would stay away from ones from China since counterfeit cards from there have been a problem.