Installing TrueNASCore on Hyper V Server 2016/2019

cybermonkey

Cadet
## ADMINS OR TRUENAS STAFF. PLEASE ADD THIS OR YOUR VERSION OF THIS INTO THE INSTALL SECTION OF YOUR ONLINE DOCUMENTATION AS VMWARE IN INCLUDED BUT HYPER V IS NOT.

If you, like a lot of others that are having issues with Plex or other jails / plugins getting DHCP and being forced to use NAT or using nat and still having issues with example Plex not connecting an registering on your account as a server. I have found your answers.

1) From a clean TrueNAS install, if available create a v Switch that has SR-IOV if your board supports it. This will increase the speed in most cases when you use like me 10GB Fiber.
2) In powershell on the Hyper V Host you will have to do this.
Get-VMNetworkAdapter -VMName TRUENASCORE |ft -property macaddressspoofing
Set-VMNetworkAdapter -VMName TRUENASCORE -MacAddressSpoofing on

Also verify that the switch extensions in the virtual switch manager is enabled by verifying that Microsoft NDIS Capture is checked.
*Note In my case this allowed DHCP and the other Jails to start talking to the network resolving all the other issues around network connectivity.

As Promiscuous Mode was not enabled on the virtual switch in hyper V at the time, all functions seem to work now. I will or some one should comment on the modes necessity and find an easy way to change it to and I will add it to this post. Hope this helps a lot of you guys that are/were in the same boat.

For review please refer here
Set-VMNetworkAdapter –VMName MyVM –PortMirroring Source
Set-VMNetworkAdapter –VMName MyVM2 –PortMirroring Source
Set-VMNetworkAdapter –VMName MonitorVM –PortMirroring Destination

PS to TrueNAS I also most dropped TrueNAS because I could not get this working out of the box. Please also include this in suggestions after the DHCP errors that will popup during plugin installation. Even though I use this personally I wouldn't have recommended it for corporate if all supported functions are not fully documented. In fact this should be a automated test in the install to test all configuration dependencies(You can detect what hypervisor the VM is sitting on). Looking forward to the update.