Hyper-V on Freenas just aroung the corner? or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppumkin

Dabbler
I love FreeNAS allot but I need another Vm or two to do other things. Initially i set up a 4 HDD ZFS and it runs like a charm.

Obviosly when I isntalled Hyper-V and tried to mount 4 HDD's -- Oooopss :-(

But i found this and also this saying that FreeBSD 8.2 will be supported on Hyper-V now (in experimental mode)

So that means that FreeNAS 8.2 will also support this right? Can I compile it just like the FreeBSD instructions. Hopefully some other people out there with the same dilemma as mine might stumble across this and get the answer they need before wasting hours of time.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
As the second link says, it won't land until after 9.1. That means the soonest one could conceive of Hyper-V support for FreeNAS would be FreeNAS 9.2, which would be more than a year from now, and even then it wouldn't necessarily be in FreeNAS - it's waaaay too soon to tell.

ppumkin

Dabbler
Fair enough. Say I wanted to trade ofo the FreeNAS framework. I can mount the ZFS Pool in FreeBSD (but keeping in mind not to upgrade it though if i wanted to go back to FreeNASfor some reason though)>

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
ZFS pools should be fully transferable. The next revision of FreeNAS will even have the same ZFS pool version as the most up-to-date FreeBSD version, so you can even take advantage of that.

ppumkin

Dabbler
Ben, Thanks for you comments- they are allot of help.

I was thinking actaully- maybe I should just make a virutal machine in freenas. I want a windows small web server or windows profesional to do some iis stuff and share printers. I have 8gb ram of which 3gb should be great for any modern winblows. How easy is it to setup a VM in FreeNAS .. and is it easy to remount the vm if my freenas dies for whatever reason and i need to use another usb drive or something

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
In principle you could set up something like Virtualbox at the command line in the FreeNAS Plugins jail. I'm not sure how easy it is to re-import a jail (and the services in it) after a system loss. Additionally, any software installed in the plugin jail that way (rather than via PBI) would be lost without additional effort when upgrading the jail (distinct from upgrading the FreeNAS system).

Status
Not open for further replies.