Hyper-V Stretched HA

rikmyr

Cadet
Hello all,

I'm trying to set up a stretch infrastructure where I have an TrueNAS server in location A and another TrueNAS server in location B that are replicating between each other and when I fail over my Hyper-V VM server using Windows Failover Clustering from location A which is connected to TrueNAS in location A it will automatically connect to the TrueNAS server in location B once failed over and the replication will reverse from TrueNAS server in location B back to the TrueNAS server in location A.

The only concept I came up with was to use RSYNC to replicate the two TrueNAS servers in a 2-way sync and then instead of making it a clustered disk, I instead just point the VM location to the disk drive that is mapped the same on both Hyper-V hosts (Server/Location A: "D:\Hyper-V\{VM1}", Server/Location B: "D:\Hyper-V\{VM1}").

I attached a basic diagram for reference. Thanks!

Attachments

• truenas.png
    truenas.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 204

jenksdrummer

Patron
I think the better use case would be to use Hyper-V Replicas; leave the storage independently operating rather than try to keep things in sync between them; where with Hyper-V Replicas, it does snapshots and replication based on a delta and ships that to the remote hyper-v instance...and it's handled all within one platform.

rikmyr

Cadet
Thanks @jenksdrummer!

That's what I ended up doing and also looked into Proxmox but its kinda buggy and lack of documentation from what i've seen thus far.