Installing Plex Media Server Plugin brought down FreeNAS Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwisherSweet

Contributor
Last night, I attempted to install the Plex Media Sever plugin on my production FreeNAS server. I had done this a few times with my test server with no problems.

However, when the status reached 83%, the server disconnected from the network and would not obey console commands Here's a short summary of that issue from last night:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/lost-connection-to-keyboardless-freenas-server.55390/

I just had to power down and I'm not running scrubs on my pools.

It appears the jail was created, but the Plex Media Sever plugin still shows not installed.

If I wanted to reattempt this process, I assume I would need to delete the jail, and the "jails" dataset for good measure (not used for anything else).

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on what I could do to investigate root cause, troubleshoot, and prevent from happening again?

A little more setup information:
  • Mac Pro, 2 x 6 Core 3.46Hz Xeons, 64gb ECC RAM
  • FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3 (e1497f269)
  • 7 x 3TB Toshiba drives in "primary" data pool in raidz2
  • 5 x 2TB Seagate drives in "backup1" backup pool (externally attached) in raidz1
Thanks so much.

SwisherSweet

Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Are you suggesting that the Plex plugin or plugin installation process is in someway defective? If not, why would I be better off going through a manual installation process?

I have very little Unix experience, so I'd be at the mercy of those instructions being 100% step-by-step accurate and hope/prey nothing is different to throw me off.

Thanks.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The manual install is easier to keep up to date. With the plugin you're at the mercy of the plugin maintainer to keep it up to date for you.

JoelN

Dabbler
Status
Not open for further replies.