Installing NIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingPersian

Patron
Hi
I'm thinking about adding a NIC to my NAS due to the fact that I have two networks. It shouldn't be any fancy, so guess I'll take the Intel Pro/1000 GT.
My setup looks like this:

• Modem with WiFi somewhere in the House
  • one LAN connection in my room, going to my Desktop
  • 2nd router, Netgear WNR3500L, connected to NAS ("home made", Asus H87i-Plus)
  • Can't connect the modem and router because the internet connection keeps breaking up
My plan is to build in the NIC into the NAS, connect both the LAN cable from the modem and router to it and connect my desktop via WiFi to the moden and via LAN to the router. I'll then have internet connection on both my NAS and desktop but in two different networks.
So, I've read here that the Intel Pro/1000 GT is compatible with FreeBSD using the em(4) driver. My question now is, do I have to install this driver or is it installed already? Here it says to compile the driver into the kernel and add a line to the config. If I have to do that, how do I do it? If not, do I simply build it in?
Also I'm not quite sure if it's compatible with my mainboard. The MB has a PCIe x16 connection and I think the NIC has x1? According to Wikipedia x1 is "ok" with x16.
Thanks in advance

D

dlavigne

You don't need to install a driver. If a NIC is supported, it is already built into the operating system. Physically install it, make sure it's active (plugged into the network), and boot the system.

D

dlavigne

It depends upon your network setup. If the new NIC is connected to a network with a DHCP server, it will automatically receive an IP address. Otherwise, you can set it statically as described in the Guide for your version of FreeNAS.

gpsguy

Note the PRO/1000 GT is a PCI NIC.

You'd be better off with the CT variant since it's a PCI/e NIC.

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.