Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bebasic

Cadet
Newbie trying to convert old computer into a server. When clicking on "Download" for 'freeNAS' it does not differentiate the 'installer' program for 1 thumb drive vs the 2nd thumb drive for the actual installation.
I thought I downloaded FreeNAS to thumb drive but when booting from thumb drive, just get black screen/white print that it is free NAS, then C:\> with blinking cursor. Do not know what to do. FreeNAS listed on thumb drive 'files' but doesn't appear to open, nor does it say how to get it to install on a second (recommended) thumb drive.
Recommendations?

Inxsible

Guru
Did you write the IMG file to USB correctly?
Use Rufus on Windows or dd on linux

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Newbie trying to convert old computer into a server. When clicking on "Download" for 'freeNAS' it does not differentiate the 'installer' program for 1 thumb drive vs the 2nd thumb drive for the actual installation.

Installing to mirrored devices is something that can be selected during the installation process, not when downloading the installer.
http://doc.freenas.org/11/install.html#performing-the-installation

I thought I downloaded FreeNAS to thumb drive but when booting from thumb drive, just get black screen/white print that it is free NAS, then C:\> with blinking cursor.

This is a clear sign that you booted into some sort of DOS and not into the FreeNAS installer.

Note that three thumb drives in total will be needed for an installation to mirrored boot devices. One where the bootable installer image is written to and two as installation targets. If you only have two thumb drives at hand you can use one of them as a (non mirrored) installation target and re-purpose the installer image thumb drive to form a mirror after the installation process.
http://doc.freenas.org/11/system.html#mirroring-the-boot-device

Last edited:

gpsguy

bebasic

Cadet
Thank you for the replies.:) I did download Rufus first to prep the thumb drive. I will explore the other recommendations when I get home from work.

80singsamir

Cadet
Hi All,
am new here, so please bear with me, i know about computers, but not good with networking. I DL freenas and it booted well but when i try to access the IP address from my win10 laptop, its says the could not find the ip address,all my devices are on the same home network. The free nas is loaded on a flash drive which is lugged on my old windows 7 PC. I have googled and watched you tube but no help. Please suggest what i am doing wrong. Thanks

ethereal

Guru
Hi All,
am new here, so please bear with me, i know about computers, but not good with networking. I DL freenas and it booted well but when i try to access the IP address from my win10 laptop, its says the could not find the IP address,all my devices are on the same home network. The free nas is loaded on a flash drive which is lugged on my old windows 7 PC. I have googled and watched you tube but no help. Please suggest what i am doing wrong. Thanks

you should post your own thread and not hijack another. you do need to install freenas for it to work

Status
Not open for further replies.