Installation query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megagrumpy

Cadet
I am a total newbie and am slowly working through this. I have downloaded the FreeNAS 11 installer onto a thumb drive and managed to install FreeNAS successfully - ie I get to the screen that provides the 12 options and the IP address. All through the installation process and all through the boot process I keep on getting messages starting with aprobe1 or aprobe 3. Even when I get to the final screen with the 12 options the options scroll up and are replaced with constant aprobe lines. I suspect maybe it is telling me that I have a faulty disk as the disk drives (4 x 500GB) get quite hot. I would be grateful if anyone could explain what is happening. I have tried searching the forums but not sure what to search for!

I attach a screen shot of the screen just before I decided to power down.

M/B: GA-MA78GM-S2H
Processor: AMD Athlon 64
RAM: 8GB

Attachments

• IMG_20170627_165020.jpg
    IMG_20170627_165020.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 218

Megagrumpy

Cadet
i have tried booting with only one disk at a time and I still get the messages - although a lot less frequently. Also run Chkdisk on them and they come up clean with no errors. Could it be a problem with the boot thumbdrive?

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's hard to say; usually errors like that will indicate the device that's having problems, but I don't see that with yours. What's the output of camcontrol devlist?

Megagrumpy

Cadet
I assume that camcontrol devlist comes up during the boot process or do I have to go into the command line?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
i have tried booting with only one disk at a time and I still get the messages - although a lot less frequently. Also run Chkdisk on them and they come up clean with no errors. Could it be a problem with the boot thumbdrive?

I think you have the wrong os installed of your using chkdisk. That program verifies Windows filesystems and if you are using freenas that doesn't exist.

You need to run HDD smart tests on these drives. Your system is also not really going to work. You have realtek NICs and probably a shitty Sata controller. I would suggest throwing this stuff in the trash and buying something supported. Motherboard under $200 should not even exist.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Megagrumpy

Cadet
SweetandLow, when I said I ran Chkdisk I connected my disk with the Windows 7 OS and booted into that instead of FreeNAS and then used the Disk properties/tools/checkdisk - not the command line version.

I think you are probably right - it is an old PC that I was going to throw out but I thought maybe I could use it as a NAS especially as I had 4 x 500GB HDD. Even the 500GB drives are of marginal use for this. I think it may be that the Sata controller is not compatible with FreeNAS. I will try to do a bit more work on it but if i get any more problems I will be throwing it in the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.