Installation on a USB 3.00 port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I find a company offering dedicaded server and they provide an USB drive for installing the OS, but the USB port and the USB drive is USB 3.0 . So, if I go into the BIOS (allowed) and I set the USB port from 3.0 to 2.0 , this will be fine for installing FreeNAS?

Thanks,

Guillaume

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Yes ;)

Thanks,

And also, if I don't do this action, will the new version of FreeNAS can be installed on a USB 3.0 . I know erlier version cannot.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
No, there is a long list of weird and wonderful problems linked to USB 3.0.

Also, this company offer 500 GB of free FTP storage to their dedicaded server customers. But, the storage can be acces only by the dedicaded server IP adress, acces is not allowed by othes IPs for security reasons. So how I can mount FTP storage to FreeNAS? Please not storage is also available using NFS.

Thanks,

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Short answer: totally unsupported.

Long answer: You can probably hack something together, but it wouldn't be recommend that you do it that way, and you're almost certainly going to have major problems if you are going to try to share it with some sharing protocol.

Good morning,

I order the server and I was able to install FreeNAS on a USB 3.0 USB drive plugged into a USB 3.0 port by putting it in USB 2.0 mode.

Also for the NFS share, I ask the provider who is OVH Canada and they saids I am fully allowed to mount there free storage to my server using FreeNAS. They gave me the link to the documentation but im not able to mount the NFS share. This is the command: mount -t nfs FTPBACKUPHOST:/export/ftpbackup/SERVICENAME /DOSSIERMOUNT

Please note I have created the mount folder at the mount point. the folder name /mnt/test

I have replaced the missing data by my logins credentials but I wont work. In the GUI of FreeNAS there was a Shell and when I enter this command, nothing happen, and if I enter it direclty with the Shell by pressing 9 on the menu using the IPMI it saids Permission denied, after I press enter for send the command.

And finally when I try to create an user and if I assing the folder /mnt/test its saids The path must reside within a volume mount point

Thanks,

Guillaume

Hi Everyone,

With the help of my hosting company I finally get it work.

This ticket can be now closed.

SmallGuy

Guru
Is the trick really under the hood?
In other word can you give a little bit of information for those who meet the same trouble.
Not I am interest but just for Freenas forum, as your post isn't helpful at all as it is.

Nah, forget my joy, its dont work now...

I get this error now:

[root@server] ~# chown -R root:wheel /mnt/surveillance
chown: /mnt/surveillance/.banner: Operation not permitted
chown: /mnt/surveillance: Operation not permitted

and

[root@server] ~# chown -R surveillance:ftp /mnt/surveillance
chown: /mnt/surveillance/.banner: Operation not permitted
chown: /mnt/surveillance: Operation not permitted

What I do wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

I have re-contacted my hosting company and they saids I need to contact the software maker (FreeNAS) for get further help. They do not provide help for OS and softwares installed on the servers.

Someone know why it not working? I got Operation not permitted.

And in FreeNAS I get this error when I assing the path to a user;

"The path must reside within a volume mount point"

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You made the dataset a windows dataset and chmod doesn't work when using Windows permissions. You should use setfacl.

Hi,

How I can use setfacl?

And too, I know its possible to do this type of opperations on FreeBSD but this is possible its not the same on FreeNAS? Even if FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.