Install Web Browser in Transmission Plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWing82

Cadet
Hello, this is my first post here. Thanks to the amazing tutorials I've been able to set up Couchpotato, SickRage, Transmission and Plex on my FreeNAS box. I have them all running in different jails. My transmission jail is configured to use OpenVPN and automatically shut off if the VPN shuts down. Everything is working great

For certain websites, I need to have the same IP address as my VPN. I'm currently using PIA and am not able to assign static IP addresses. I would like to be able to browse to this website through the transmission plugin jail so I will have the same IP address as transmission. My current solution is to SSH into my transmission jail and use elinks, a text based web browser.

My question is, is there a better way to do this? Ideally I would like to be able to browse to the website with a normal web browser and download files to my torrent-files folder. Currently I have tried installing firefox from inside the jail, but it will not start. It says that it needs a display. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello, this is my first post here. Thanks to the amazing tutorials I've been able to set up Couchpotato, SickRage, Transmission and Plex on my FreeNAS box. I have them all running in different jails. My transmission jail is configured to use OpenVPN and automatically shut off if the VPN shuts down. Everything is working great

For certain websites, I need to have the same IP address as my VPN. I'm currently using PIA and am not able to assign static IP addresses. I would like to be able to browse to this website through the transmission plugin jail so I will have the same IP address as transmission. My current solution is to SSH into my transmission jail and use elinks, a text based web browser.

My question is, is there a better way to do this? Ideally I would like to be able to browse to the website with a normal web browser and download files to my torrent-files folder. Currently I have tried installing firefox from inside the jail, but it will not start. It says that it needs a display. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
You can ssh into your jail using the -D switch. i.e. "ssh user@<jail ip-address> -D 8080". This establishes an SSH tunnel between your workstation and your jail. Then install a plugin that supports socks5 proxy like "foxy proxy" and point it at 127.0.0.1:8080. You can google more details if you get stuck. The only caveat is that your DNS queries may not pass through the socks5 proxy. You will need to do a bit more googling to figure this part out and verify it (you can use tcpdump, wireshark, etc. to verify everything is passing correctly).

RedWing82

Cadet
Thanks! That worked great. I honestly didn't even know that something like that was an option. Thank you for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.