Cannot remove orphaned plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirach Matthews

Dabbler
I am running 9.2.1.7. I had Transmission installed and working fine. In trying an experiment to rename the hostname of my Transmission jail away from the default of transmission_1, Transmission stopped functioning, so I decided to delete the plugin and the jail to start fresh. When I deleted the plugin, the jail remained both in the list and in the tree. I could also browse to it in the shell, so I deleted the jail. It no longer shows up in the tree or in the list of jails in the shell, but it still shows up in the list of jails in the web GUI with the IP address I would like to use for my new Transmission jail. Is there a way to remove the jail from the database?

Sirach Matthews

Dabbler
I ran
Code:
rm -rf .[jailname].meta
which seemed to remove my jail from the list of jails, however the ZFS dataset is still listed. When I try to destroy it, I receive the following error:
cannot unmount '/mnt/WDGreen4T01/jails/xmission': Device busy

Also, a PBI plugin which used to reside in this jail is still listed in my installed plugins, with the jail name in red. When I try to delete that, the following error:
Error: jail not found
This was happening even before I tried deleting the jail.

Sirach Matthews

Dabbler
After upgrading to 9.2.1.8, I was able to destroy the dataset in the GUI, however, the orphaned plugin remains listed.

diedrichg

Wizard
There are hidden warden folders in your jail dataset that contain the information keeping the plugin alive. Delete those and you should be good to go.

Sirach Matthews

Dabbler
OK. Here's my solution.

I created a new jail with the same name as the old one in which the plugin had originally been installed.

I was then able to use the GUI to delete the plugin.

After that, I destroyed the jail again. My installation is once again clean.

Thank you to all who offered suggestions. I hope my solution will be found helpful to anyone else experiencing the same/similar issue.

Cheers!

Nik Ansell

Dabbler
OK. Here's my solution.

I created a new jail with the same name as the old one in which the plugin had originally been installed.

I was then able to use the GUI to delete the plugin.

After that, I destroyed the jail again. My installation is once again clean.

Thank you to all who offered suggestions. I hope my solution will be found helpful to anyone else experiencing the same/similar issue.

Cheers!

I can also Vouch for this solution. I managed to delete a number of plugins after having permissions problems with jails a while back.

As long as the new jail has the same name as the old orphaned one it works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.