Can't Re-install Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmck26

Dabbler
I'm having a problem re-installing transmission. My transmission plugin has been acting strange ever since I updated to 9.2. If I stopped the plugin for whatever reason I could never turn it back on again. I would always have to uninstall it and install it again for it to work. I upgraded to 9.2.1 last week. I stopped my plugins (only 2, Plex and Transmission) and tried to restart them. Plex started fine but Transmission did not, so I deleted it. Now I get an error when I try to install it again, "ERROR: A jail with name already exists!" I checked the Jails tab and transmission_1 was showing in the menu so I deleted it from there and got the same error message. So I checked the jails folder in windows explorer and the transmission_1 folder is still there and it's still showing as a volume too. I've tried to destroy the data set in volume manager but it says cannot unmount device busy.

Is there anyway I can remove this so I can re-install transmission?

Yatti420

Wizard
Did you try a full restart after attempting to delete the plugin/jail? Is the (transmission) jail directory still present?

Bmck26

Dabbler
Ok, I got it to work finally. I had to reboot and change the permissions a couple of times but it finally let me destroy the old transmission_1 jail and re-install the app.

codenamezero

Explorer
What exactly did you do? I still can't reinstall Transmission even after I rebooted a few times and deleted the transmission_1.

Bmck26

Dabbler
I set the permissions to 777 and went into the folder in windows and deleted everything that it would let me out of the transmission_1 jail folder. It still told me that I didn't have permission on some folders, then I shut FreeNAS down completely and booted it up. Once it was up again, it let me destroy the old transmission_1 data set in the volume manger. It installed after that. However, I screwed it up again. I've been trying to edit the .json file to change "unmask" from 18 to 0 so I don't have to change the permissions every time I want to move or delete a file but the plugin never restarts after I access the file regardless of whether I change anything or not. I've tried changing from the terminal in FreeNAS, a separate SSH in windows, and just editing it with note pad, but nothing seems to work.

codenamezero

Explorer
You need to delete the whole jail dataset completely, at least that's what I end up doing.
go to Storage > Volumes > View Volumes, then click on jails, and then delete the dataset.
Then Reboot.

Now that's the weird part next, I don't know how to recreate the jail dataset, so i just tried to reinstall Transmission plugin that way, but it said it couldn't install it because of the jail dataset not found etc... I then went to do something else, then after a while i came back and saw the jail dataset is there again... then I just rebooted the nas and then I was able to reinstall Transmission from scratch like the first time... weird shit.

Supa

Patron
Well i'm currently on this issue as well. Started fine. Edited some stuff in the json config file (unmask = 0) and then for some reason the plugin turned off and I can't restart it. I'd delete the plugin / jail but I'd rather not! I'm just curious what's causing this.

Yatti420

Wizard
I set the permissions to 777 and went into the folder in windows and deleted everything that it would let me out of the transmission_1 jail folder. It still told me that I didn't have permission on some folders, then I shut FreeNAS down completely and booted it up. Once it was up again, it let me destroy the old transmission_1 data set in the volume manger. It installed after that. However, I screwed it up again. I've been trying to edit the .json file to change "unmask" from 18 to 0 so I don't have to change the permissions every time I want to move or delete a file but the plugin never restarts after I access the file regardless of whether I change anything or not. I've tried changing from the terminal in FreeNAS, a separate SSH in windows, and just editing it with note pad, but nothing seems to work.

Does the config work elsewhere? It's probably broken.. You can run a cron job to change permissions etc of your transmission folder if required..

I run this as a cronjob to set permissions and owner/group..

Code:
chown -R user:group /mnt/pool/torrents/ & chmod -R 777 /mnt/pool/torrents/

codenamezero

Explorer
Just delete the plugin, restart, delete the jail dataset, restart, let it recreate on its own and reinstall the plugin.
I did it and its working, and i am not gonna touch it now lol.

PS: IIRC, you need to go to jail and add permission on which path your plugin have access to. Otherwise your Transmission will keep complaining it can't write to the location.

Supa

Patron
You need to go to jail and add permission on which path your plugin have access to. Otherwise your Transmission will keep complaining it can't write to the location.

Does that just involve setting the user/group in the gui? I know permissions + jails can be scary haha.. made that mistake once. Or would you just do what he mentioned above for each folder/storage transmission needs access to?

Or maybe something like this?

chown -R transmission:transmission /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission

Yatti420

Wizard
Does that just involve setting the user/group in the gui? I know permissions + jails can be scary haha.. made that mistake once. Or would you just do what he mentioned above for each folder/storage transmission needs access to?

Or maybe something like this?

chown -R transmission:transmission /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission

If transmission complains about write permission issues you will need to edit the perms from command line/jail to fix said issue.. If you download a torrent and find it's permissions are wrong you can run what I posted to change them.. I use a cronjob so I don't have to manually change permissions when I want to move files that I have downloaded.. Transmission has been pretty painless for me..

codenamezero

Explorer
Go to your transmission_1 under Jails
You will see Storage
Add a new storage for your transmission_1

Where,
Source is the location you want to give transmission_1 access (for me, i put /mnt/FREENAS/torrent)
Destination is the name you want to map it (for me, i put /tmp)

Then I go back to Plugins > Transmission
And i set the Download Directory to /tmp

Works ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.