Install hangs with yellow horizontal bar after grub

Status
Not open for further replies.

braahp

Cadet
First time ever on any Linux based OS here. I've spent thousands of dollars and 20 plus years for windows certifications and now Im just plain bored. I wanted to get a quicker system running in the house for our simple plex server, so I looked around and it seems FreeNAS is likely the best. Well, I spent all day yesterday (yes new years eve, till 0230) and at the very least I got it to boot to grub. Seems I needed a BIOS update. Well not that it boots to grub, after selecting option 1 to install, I get a black screen with a large yellow horizontal bar. (See image)

Ive been searching the forums here quite a bit today, but cant find anything other than hanging after grub. Ill post my system spec:

Intel DQ35JOE Motherboard
Intel Q6600 CPU
8GB NON ECC RAM
shitty 140GB HDD
using numerous flash drives to both install from and too, but havent been able to get to the "to" install portion yet.

Have UEFI enabled, boot sequence is first the Install Flash then number 2 is the Install to flash drive. Ive tried the archive versions from downloads.freenas.org as well with the same result. I get no error message, just this screen. My bios GUI is very basic, which is possibly an issue as well. Anyone come across this at all, or am I once again the butthole in in the pile of peckers here?

Attachments

• 20180101_103828.jpg
    20180101_103828.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
First time ever on any Linux based OS here.

FreeNAS is not Linux, FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD which is UNIX based.

Have UDIF enabled

Your motherboard is 10 year old tech, what is UDIF? Do you mean;
Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) or UEFI? If this is what you mean
try booting in Legacy mode, you can change to that in your BIOS settings.

Take a look at the excellent Documentation available for FreeNAS, it has everything you need to get started downloading and installing FreeNAS
and of course a whole lot more.

Please note that your system has only 8GB of memory, while this qualifies
for the minimum, that amount will run FreeNAS, but not FreeNAS along
with
Plex. See the Resources section for the Hardware Recommendations.

braahp

Cadet
Yes UEFI, which I also tried booting in legacy mode as well, it doesn't even boot to grub, just hangs.

As for 8gb of ram, so are you implying FreeNAS takes more resources than windows 7 and 10 to run a plex server? Ouch, I'll stick with windows then...

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
FreeNAS needs at least 8GB of RAM, mostly for ZFS. Windows is not a NAS server, so the comparison does not really make sense.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
As for 8gb of ram, so are you implying freenas takes more ressources than windows 7 and 10 to run a plex server?
I have no idea how much resources it takes to run Plex on Windows 7 or 10,
but I know that it takes a minimum of 8GB to run FreeNAS. I've also heard
Plex is a resource hog, so naturally would make the assumption that to run
Plex in a FreeNAS jail would take more memory.

Last edited:

braahp

Cadet
ya im just looking to play the movies we have archived throughout the home. My windows 10 plex server works fine, was just looking for something more challenging. If I need to add hardware its not really worth it to me. I should just slap server 2016 on her and be done with this stupid project...

braahp

Cadet
plex on windows can run smoothly on windows 7 with as little as 2GB of ram, while its recommended to have at least 4GB and 64bit for windows 10. The current specs listed above have worked fine for a couple of years now on windows 10.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
plex on windows can run smoothly on windows 7 with as little as 2GB of ram, while its recommended to have at least 4GB and 64bit for windows 10. The current specs listed above have worked fine for a couple of years now on windows 10.
I'm not gonna talk you into anything here... :D FreeNAS is not for everyone :(

Status
Not open for further replies.