Grub "Incompatible License" after Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been running 9.10 on 2 Dell R610's and on a hand built Xeon/mini ITX board units with no issues until now.
Updated all of them to FreeNAS-9.10.2-U2 (e1497f2) and one of the Dells comes up with Welcome to Grub! Incompatible License. Press any key... No OS found....
The system in question already had 9.10.2 -(something) on it and there was only 2 minor updates to apply.
No other hardware issues with the unit.

Checking the internet has lead me to believe that I need to re-install lilo on the flash drive I boot from.

Anyone second that idea or get the same issue after an update?

Also, a little help on how to re-install lilo on the flash drive would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Can you get us some screen captures?

Screenshot below. When I tried to clone the boot partition on the flash drive I got a cyclic redundancy error. This may be a bad flash drive instead of an update issue. The data partition seems fine so I'm going to copy a good version of a boot partition to a clone of the original flash drive. More as it comes.

Attachments

• FreeNAS_Grub_Incompatible_License.jpg
    FreeNAS_Grub_Incompatible_License.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 698

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Screenshot below. When I tried to clone the boot partition on the flash drive I got a cyclic redundancy error. This may be a bad flash drive instead of an update issue. The data partition seems fine so I'm going to copy a good version of a boot partition to a clone of the original flash drive. More as it comes.
Don't. Make a fresh install of FreeNAS to new media and import your config. Definitely sounds like a borked boot device.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah.

Not having any luck mounting the old flash drive. I ran zpool import -f -R /mnt 16818708022404241471 oldboot and this is what I get.
What now?

Attachments

• mounted.jpg
    mounted.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 620

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Looks mounted to me...

I was able to get this far. See image.
I can access anything in the grub folder but nothing off ROOT. I can't even change the permission on ROOT.
Any idea's?

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    18.5 KB · Views: 563

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Drop to a shell and cp the file to a share. Or use SFTP to grab it directly.

Yeah, I think this is where this dies. The problem is I can't set the permissions on the ROOT dataset, the user and group come up blank. I can change it to root/wheel and set read/write/exe attributes and it says it accepts it but it doesn't stick. I can't make it a share or access it via shell, ssh, telnet, direct console, etc. I can see /mnt/oldboot/grub and anything inside ./grub and that is it. It's like the update process removed permission/locked that dataset for the updates to apply but never got there finish up the job.

I'm recreating the configuration, it's not that bad. OwnCloud was a relatively new install anyway.

Warning to others: just backup the config file before you apply an update.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.