FreeNas 9.3 fresh install 'GRUB loadingRead Error' on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony

Dabbler
(see configuration at end of message)

Issue Description

After I install the latest 64-bit 9.3 FreeNAS Release from CD-ROM iso to the new 8GB Compact Flash 'Lexar Professional 800x 8GB UDMA 7' I can successfully install but after the reboot I get 'GRUB loadingRead Error'. Verified that my CD-ROM can be read from another couple of machines and can even install using another physical CD-ROM drive on the same machine.

Question/Comment

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue? Hopefully, I can boot from the CD-ROM and do a little editing on the Compact Flash and/or possible run fsck or re-install grub (or something like that).

Additional Information
  • previously used Compact Flash 'Kingston 4GB 133x Elite Pro' with FreeNAS 9.2.19 release (64-bit) and that worked fine for years with the 9.2.x series FreeNAS
  • had another 4GB Industrial no-name SLC Compact Flash lying around so I tried to install FreeNAS 9.3 64-bit and that worked and booted into FreeNAS 9.3 and I can hit the Web Interface but then ... I get the following after entering and submitting login credentials through firefox web browser (but putting that issue aside as I want to run FreeNAS 9.3 with the minimum recommended Compact Flash size of 8 GB ... not the recommended bare minimum of 4 GB)
--snip
Forbidden (403)
CSRF verification failed. Request aborted.

More information is available with DEBUG=True.
--snip

but that is another issue that I can address later as I want to deal with one problem at a time.

Configuration
Gigabyte Mobo Intel Core2 Duo 2.1 GHz Processor
8 GB RAM
4 2TB WD Green Drives
Raid Level 1
Compact Flash OS install/boot
CD-ROM
PCIe 1Gb Ethernet Card (Integrated Ethernet has FreeBSD watchdog issue)
Previously running 9.2.x 64-bit release for years now (last working version 9.2.19 64-bit)

-- Anthony

D

dlavigne

[QUOTEI can successfully install but after the reboot I get 'GRUB loadingRead Error'.[/QUOTE]

Haven't seen that one before. Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Are you using a CF -> (something) converter? I've got personal experience that says converters are almost always a problem. They might not be a problem at first, but they seem to randomly create problems and are best avoided from the beginning.

You've also got a Core 2 Duo, which is beyond ancient, and almost certainly isn't going to be compatible with GPT booting nor is it going to be anything resembling a "good performer".

I think you should stop and examine your hardware more closely before anything else.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Are you using a CF -> (something) converter? I've got personal experience that says converters are almost always a problem. They might not be a problem at first, but they seem to randomly create problems and are best avoided from the beginning.

You've also got a Core 2 Duo, which is beyond ancient, and almost certainly isn't going to be compatible with GPT booting nor is it going to be anything resembling a "good performer".

I think you should stop and examine your hardware more closely before anything else.

Nitpick: A CF to IDE adapter is ok, since it's electrically the same. YMMV with other adapters.

Of course, anything that still has IDE is tending towards the "too old" part of the spectrum.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I know all the motherboards I've bought since 2010 won't even boot from IDE, so yeah.... it gets sketchy real fast.

anthony

Dabbler
Thank for your reply Dru. I got the post number but I don't believe that I have access to post a bug as my freenas forum username/password did not work on bugs.freenas.org.

anthony

Dabbler
Update:

As I have FreeNAS installing on the 'bare minimum' 4GB (SLC) compact flash card ... I played around with the web gui and found a workaround to get past not being able to login through the Web Interface (django issue for http/https). Now that I'm past that, I have FreeNAS 9.3 up and running. I've ordered a reasonably priced 8 GB (SLC) compact flash card online as my 8 GB (MLC) compact flash card does not work to run GRUB after the FreeNAS 9.3 install. I'll know for sure in about a week if the new 8GB SLC CF Card fixes my 8GB install issue on a CF Card.

anthony

Dabbler
Success! I just got my new 8GB SLC Compact Flash card in the mail today and it works. I'm up and running FreeNAS 9.3 on my desired hardware configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.