Can't install FreeNAS from new Compact Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

adickson22

Cadet
Im trying to install FreeNAS on an old server I got from work. The server was running its OS off a 256MB flash connected through IDE. When I try installing FN with the old Compact Flash, the installation begins and then errors out (not enough space, which is expected). After I turn off the server, plug in the new CD (4GB) and try booting again, the FN CD always comes to this screen (see below), and then hangs. I've tried pre-installing FN onto the CF from my Laptop using PhysDiskWrite, and still cant get FN to boot off the new 4GB CF. The boot sequence is HDD (CF), CD, Network. Any help would be awesome, as Im totally clueless at this point.

Also should mention that I've installed FN on multiple machines and got it working using different boot mechanisms (CD, USB, etc)..

photo (11).jpg

JaimieV

Guru
It's losing the CF at the "SET TRANSFER MODE" command; is there anything in the old server's BIOS that would affect which UDMA/PIO transfer modes are available for the IDE bus?

I remember from some experiments years ago with booting various PCs and similar off CF cards that it can be a temperamental process - some CF cards support a HDD emulation mode, others don't. I understand that's usually taken into account by the IDE-CF adapter card these days, but who knows...

Come to that, are the new CF and the adapter card both known to be fully working and good?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
From personal experience with using CF and booting I had poor results with anything that wasn't name brand products.

adickson22

Cadet
I also figured it was something along the lines of "loosing the CF".. The odd part is that if I put the original CD in (128MB), it boots fine. That tells me that the IDE-CF adapter works. Also, when I have the 4GB CD in, the Bios detects the physical drive (4GB). I just ordered 2 more 2GB CF's, and another brand of 4GB CF to do some testing this weekend.

Any explanation to why the 128MB boots FreeNAS, but the 4GB wont boot?

JaimieV

Guru
Sorry, no. Are there any 'capacity levels' with CFs (or adapters) that might have an effect, like the old 128gig limit on HDDs?

The only device I'm using a CF+IDE adapter in at the moment is an old Amiga 1200, which isn't really representative of modernish PCs!

adickson22

Cadet
This has become such a pain... Im hoping the 2GB CF will suffice with the FreeNAS install. Is there any way I can install FreenNAS on a 1GB CF and strip out the "fake" space that is binded with it to make the 2GB .img file?

Also, this is going on a IBM 3650xi, pretty old too :(

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
FreeNAS uses the other 1GB of space for upgrades. You'd be in dangerous territory, and FreeNAS might not boot properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.