CF card install problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northwinds

Dabbler
Hi all
I tried FreeNAS on an old pc a month or so back using an old ide 40GB drive with a sata drive for data just as a try out.
Finally I got a bit of cash together and bought a 4GB CF Card, an ide to sata adapter and one of the new Seagate 4GB NAS drives (next time I get cash I'll get another for mirroring).
Anyway on this old pc with the ide drive it worked fine, but I can't even install to the CF card.
After burning and verifying a second cd of 8.3.1 and swapping the ide channels between the CF card and the cd rom, and checking everything in the BIOS I finally get to install to the card!

But 3 times now I get the message:

install_worker.sh: pre-install summary
install_worker.sh: WARNING: not enough RAM (1052147712 < 1073741824)
File Sanity Check -> OK
/cdrom/FreeNAS-x86.img.xz (1/1)
0.3% 0.2MiB / 1.8 MiB = 0.110 0.01

Now this last line has varied but only between 0.2 and 0.4%, then it just hangs.

There is 2GB RAM in this PC and it installed and worked fine before off the ide PATA drive.
I have no intention of running ZFS to start with so 2GB should work for now.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks!

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
I don't think message about RAM is anyhow related to using CF card. CF card in PATA adapter works just the same as PATA disk with one possible exception: many cards or adapters have problems with DMA support. You may try to switch card to PIO mode, specifying `set hint.ata.X.mode=PIO4` (where X is number of ATA bus where card is connected) in boot loader prompt and later alike in /boot/loader.conf.

Status
Not open for further replies.