Installation issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixidor

Dabbler
I have a test system at work nearly identical to one at home. i have sundays at work i can mess with this. last week i had 2 of the same flash drives off-brand transcend 4gb. one with installer on back usb, one in the usb header on the mobo. it is in a SuperMicro 12-bay case, redundant power supplies, and SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-O , with a XEON and 32gb.

last week i seemed to have gotten the installer written to the flash drive correctly ( i think), but it would get to where do you want to install, picked other flash drive, go to try to make partitions and fail.

Today, i bought a sandisk flash drive hoping to use that as boot device. cannot seem to get the installation media right. Tried both Rufus and unetbootin to burn the iso to flash drive. even burned a cd, and used a usb cd-rom to to to install from there. the cd just gave read errors till it quit. time with image after using unetbootin, just sat at a blinky cursor. with rufus, get to the grub menu 2.3a http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_install.html but then it drops down to some maintenance shell, like it cannot read the flash drive.

Have you tried checking the checksum of the iso you downloaded?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

ixidor

Dabbler
yes i downloaded several different stable versions tonight, and each time i checked it, it was different that the listed hash. i suspect something at work mangling the file. will try at home and see if can get different results.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
yes i downloaded several different stable versions tonight, and each time i checked it, it was different that the listed hash. i suspect something at work mangling the file. will try at home and see if can get different results.
DrKK smells something fishy in springtime air.

Well each "different" stable should have different hashes, but not different downloads of the same stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.