install from USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

somboku

Cadet
Hello Guys,

I've been download and dd-ing to an USB-stick freeNAS.
(FreeNAS-9.2.1.7-RELEASE-x64.img.xz)
I can boot from it but i'am not getting to the installation
men.
I just see:
F1 Free BSD
F2 Free BSD
F3 Local Drive

F6 PXE

but only for a 1-2 seconds then it chooses autmatically
F1.

then i just see for a few seconds a screen where i
could boot into single use, multi user ...
but i dont get into some kind of installation
ncurses stuff which is described in the pdf.

could someone please pointing me to the
right way?

thanks.
somboku

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
FreeNAS runs off the USB stick. Wait for boot to finish and your screen should show the ip-address where you can access the webgui and configure your server.

somboku

Cadet
FreeNAS runs off the USB stick. Wait for boot to finish and your screen should show the ip-address where you can access the webgui and configure your server.
yes i configed it and logged in into the webpanel but i want to install it and not run from an usb device.
now ive downloaded the .iso image and bootet it within a virtual machine.
there is an install menue.
but not from usb. sadly i have no cdrom device on that machine
its a sunfire 4500 with 48 disks.

isnt there a way to get that install meune from the usb image?

thanks
somboku

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
ok thanks but i dont get it.
why is there then a way to install it?
i really dont want it to run from an usb device on a production system

Read the documentation. That's the preferred method and how 99% of FreeNAS users run...

What do you feel you will gain by running from a hard drive? Whatever drive you install it on will be useless. Using an entire hard drive for 4gb?

somboku

Cadet
Read the documentation. That's the preferred method and how 99% of FreeNAS users run...

What do you feel you will gain by running from a hard drive? Whatever drive you install it on will be useless. Using an entire hard drive for 4gb?

well first off all thx for your reply.

i am confusing bout backup the usb for me its much more confortable to install that stuff on an raid1
and i also did not see within the panel where i can easyly backup the whole system.

but you're right to drop 250G for an 4 GB image is really a wasteage.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
well first off all thx for your reply.

i am confusing bout backup the usb for me its much more confortable to install that stuff on an raid1
and i also did not see within the panel where i can easyly backup the whole system.

but you're right to drop 250G for an 4 GB image is really a wasteage.
You don't need to backup the whole system. Just the config file is all you need.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If USB scares you look at a SATA DOM. My unfinished but soon to be published hardware guide is going to include recommendations for SATA DOMs.

I've ordered a 32GB SATA DOM (future plans and stuff for 9.3). The current limitations of 2GB on the boot device are about to get blown out of the water. If you want to be a forward planning person go with a SATA DOM and go reasonably big (I'd consider 16GB+ to be almost over the top) but I have plans for the 32GB. :D I won't say more about what 9.3 has to offer, but I will say it's going to be pretty damn amazing and those of us with only 2-4GB USB sticks may be disappointed. ;)

Anyway, I bought it from http://www.memorydepot.com/ssd/listcat.asp?catid=SATADOM-MV-3ME&prodid=DESMV-32GD06SC1QC and I bought the DESMV-32GD06SC1QC. I won't say that things have gone well as I ordered it on August 8th and it's *still* not here. In fact, I emailed them today and they told me that it should be mailed before the end of the week. Well, that's great but since they are in Canada it will take more time to get through customs. So I might have ordered it on the 8th and I'll get it the following 8th. :mad: I got the standard "its an industry problem since it has to be shipped from Taiwan" but to NOT put ETAs on their website or something is just crap. If they had told me that they weren't going to get a 32GB for a month but a 16GB is available right now I would have gone with that. Their website really needs to show what they have in-stock, what isn't in-stock and ETAs.

Unfortunately the number of places where SATA DOMs are available in the variety as what memorydepot.com offers is virtually non-existent. Ebay was literally the second-best option and it was far more expensive as well as had very limited brands. Kingspec seems to dominate ebay and it seems to be reasonably priced. But, I have some concerns for the brand. I have no idea if they are good quality or not and no way to prove if its a knock-off or not.

Anyway, I just hope my 32GB works perfectly. I really don't want to know how long it will take to do an RMA with them.

Keep in mind that I am not vouching for that model. It may or may not have unforeseen problems that I'm not aware of. But I've put money where my mouth is because I think it stands a very good chance of working properly for my purpose (boot device for FreeNAS).

Status
Not open for further replies.