Input appreciated for a mini iTX build

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroNine

Dabbler
Hello,

After an embarrassing first post I hit the books and the forums to gain some knowledge about how to properly set up hardware on freenas. I think I have the basics covered but I know I still have a long way to go. But I got my needs in check so I would appreciate any suggestions on the community about this.

I want to run a media server + seedbox on the NAS. Was thinking WD REDs 4+2 (limit: 6 HDDs for mostly media related and personal docs backup) but wanted a mini-itx build because I already have a case (Fractal Design Array R2 Mini ITX NAS + Fractal Design 300w SFX). I know the power source needs some upgrading but for now, it's what I have. The problem at hand is finding an itx MoBo WITH 7.1 audio (if not: 5.1, but still...) and an HDMI port to hook the TV.

For this scenario, most suggest the NAS and something like Raspberry Pi for the TV, but the audio output on the pi is limited and I would like a one solution fits all approach. Also the Pi is limited in the decoding of some media formats.

I checked the FreeNAS Community Hardware Guide, but couldn't find any ECC MoBo to suit these needs with:

- 1 HDMI port;
- 1 7.1 or 5.1 audio.

Can someone help or provide some insight?

thank you

melloa

Wizard
- 1 HDMI port;
- 1 7.1 or 5.1 audio.

Those you will have on your workstation/desktop. For the server you wouldn't be needing this.

ZeroNine

Dabbler
Those you will have on your workstation/desktop. For the server you wouldn't be needing this.

Hi.

What you're saying is I can't have the NAS directly connected to the TV and/or that that would not be advisable? I'm forced to have a Pi or similar in my dumbtv?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Hi.

What you're saying is I can't have the NAS directly connected to the TV and/or that that would not be advisable? I'm forced to have a Pi or similar in my dumbtv?
Well since audio is not supported in FreeNAS, yes you are going to have to have something else hooked to your TV. Why not set up Plex on FreeNAS and use an Intel NUC with the TV? My NUC passes all HD audio codecs that my receiver supports.

melloa

Wizard
Hi.

FreeNAS is a Network Attached Storage (NAS) Server.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage

It houses your disks and offers multiple other functions builtin and expansions with the utilization of plugins, VMs, Dockers, etc (i.e. the above mentioned Plex).

You will be streaming whatever media you store in it using a HTPC of some sort.

If your goal is to have only one box for both, FreeNAS will not give you that. You can build a Linux or Windows system and install Plex in it. Me personally, run FreeNAS as a NAS and store all my media in it, run all other servers on VMs, and have two HTPCs at the house for streaming on dummy TVs and use the Plex client on smart ones. As you can see more than one way to get where you are trying to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.