Initial configuration guide

balanga

Patron
I set up a FreeNAS box several years ago and it has been working well, but I'm running out of space so am setting up a new one. The original one was set up haphazardly over several years, but I want to set up the new one in a more structured/planned way, ie I'd like some guidance on the recommended sequence (if there is one) of setting up a pool, nfs and smb shares, jails, plugins etc. Also, the new interface is unfamiliar to me but I want to use it, however most of the YouTube guides use the legacy interface. Can anyone recommend a video showing how to do the essential configuration on a new system. I do know how to install the system, I just want to know if their any priorities when it comes to configuration.

Thanks in advance.

Glorious1

Guru
I am not aware of such a comprehensive, up-to-date guide with all the setup details. A lot of it depends on how you want it set up. There are some guides on specific aspects, like SMB. Generally I would let the User Guide be my guide, and look for more detailed guides as needed.

In case things go haywire, I would (and do), write a detailed log of all your setup steps so you can redo it or modify as needed.