RAID Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

usp97

Dabbler
I have a question about RAID configuration and possible conversion from one RAID type to another. Currently, I am putting together the following build:

HP Proliant G7 N54L MicroServer
Kingston 2x8GB RAM (KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G)
2x3TB Seagate Barracuda (ST3000DM001)
2x3TB Seagate NAS HDD (ST3000VN000)

Unfortunately, I am not in a money is no object situation. So, I am slowly buying the pieces when they are on sale and so they are on separate credit card statements. Here are my questions:

1. My plan was to set up a RAID 10 configuration. Am I correct in thinking this is my best set up for the 4 drives?
  2. I would like to get my box up and running as soon as possible. Can I start with 2 of the 4 drives in a RAID 1 configuration and covert it to RAID 10 when I get the other 2 drives?
Thank you very much for your help.

Dusan

Guru
Here are my questions:

1. My plan was to set up a RAID 10 configuration. Am I correct in thinking this is my best set up for the 4 drives?
  2. I would like to get my box up and running as soon as possible. Can I start with 2 of the 4 drives in a RAID 1 configuration and covert it to RAID 10 when I get the other 2 drives?
Yes, that is possible. You start with one mirrored vdev and later add another one to extend the pool.

DJ9: ??? He didn't mention RAID5 at all.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just as Dusan said. I explained how to expand pools in my presentation in the noobie section....

DJ9

Contributor
Sorry about that. I shouldn't reply to stuff when I'm half asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.