Decent FreeNAS Rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDMurdock

Cadet
Building my first NAS. I'll be streaming .MKV's and files over CIFS and ISO's and VMDK's over NFS.

I've purchased the following using rebates and waiting for sales. Just waiting on the drives to come in:

AMD FX 4100 Black Edition AM3+ 3.6GHz Quad-Core
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 16GB (2X8GB) DDR3-1600
ANTEC 300 CASE
CORSAIR 430W PS
QTY. 4 Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB in RAID 5 or 6

Can I expect decent performance over Gigabit Ethernet?

Thanks!

Brosif_My_Nif

Explorer
I'd also recommend an Intel PCIe NIC

henkim21

Cadet
can anyone comment on the processor specifically? i am in between an AMD FX setup like above or an ivy bridge i3. For what purposes would the processor be a bottleneck or less than ideal versus the i3? i am looking for audio/video streaming to computers/tv and a central file server.

Brosif_My_Nif

Explorer
can anyone comment on the processor specifically? i am in between an AMD FX setup like above or an ivy bridge i3. For what purposes would the processor be a bottleneck or less than ideal versus the i3? i am looking for audio/video streaming to computers/tv and a central file server.

Are you planning to stream via CIFS, AFP, NFS?

If you're planning to go with CIFS, I would recommend the i3 because CIFS/SMB only uses 1 core. Since it only uses one, you want that core to be running faster than having a lot of cores which are not being used.

henkim21

Cadet
Are you planning to stream via CIFS, AFP, NFS?

If you're planning to go with CIFS, I would recommend the i3 because CIFS/SMB only uses 1 core. Since it only uses one, you want that core to be running faster than having a lot of cores which are not being used.

I am pretty new to the freenas scene and i was originally looking to use afp and cifs/smb but i am definitely still exploring and if there are other avenues i dont know about for streaming...im all for it. Anything i'm missing here? also i'll mention i also plan on an itunes server as well.

I'd hate to hijack this thread any further than I have. If you'd be interested, could we continue this via PM (unless OP is interested in this)?

Status
Not open for further replies.