Importing HDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea

Cadet
Hi everybody,

I'm a new user of FreeNAS. I have just downloaded the last (stable) version from freenas.org and I installed it on a USB key.
In my new NAS there are 6 HDs with lots of data inside (that I cannot erase).
I think that these HDs are formatted with EXT3 (or maybe EXT4).

How can I import them in my new FreeNAS? I have seen that there is only EXT2fs :(

Please help me :(

D

dlavigne

You can't. You'll have to copy the data elsewhere, reformat the disks, then copy the data back.

Andrea

Cadet
You can't. You'll have to copy the data elsewhere, reformat the disks, then copy the data back.

Ok. Thank you. I'll update the status of the question as "fixed"; but can you help me just with my "curiosity"?? Why FreeNAS is not compatible with etx4?? I mean... It should be one of the state of the art fs right now, right? What is the reason behind this choice?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Ok. Thank you. I'll update the status of the question as "fixed"; but can you help me just with my "curiosity"?? Why FreeNAS is not compatible with etx4?? I mean... It should be one of the state of the art fs right now, right? What is the reason behind this choice?

EXT4 is not a particularly well-regarded filesystem in some circles. Theodore Tso, the guy did a lot of the work on ext3 and ext4, even says that he thinks ext4 is kind of a piece of shit (I'm paraphrasing). I am sure there are also technical and other reasons that contribute to lack of interest in that filesystem.

I took the liberty of a little Googling, and I see there might be some utilities out there that might downconvert your ext4fs to something like ext3fs. But that sounds risky/scary to me, and you should exercise considerable caution.

By the way, even though EXT4 you're screwed, it is well-known that EXT3 can be semi-compatible with EXT2, and there's a good chance you might be able to import that filesystem. You'd have to exercise some Google-fu though. (You said you weren't sure if you were formatted 3 or 4---3 looks like it will be considerably less problem).

D

dlavigne

FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD which provides built-in support for ext2fs. That driver provides very limited support for ext3 (no journalling, extended attributes, or inodes greater than 128-bytes).

Andrea

Cadet
Unfortunately I figured out that it was EXT4. Now I'm trying to follow the solution of dlavigne but copying more than 1TB into external 3.5HD is quite slow :(

Anyway... I found the tools to convert from EXT4 to 3 as well but I agree with your opinion of "risky/scary" solution so I avoided to do that (especially because I have some important file into that hds).

Just a few more questions:
1) Once I have the hd empty do suggest me to format it into UFS or ZFS??? note: These HD will NOT be configured as RAID or something like this but only as single HD!
2) In case I choose ZFS this fs are going to be well supported in the future (also from non-BSD distribution??). I would like to avoid this problem again :P

Thank you a lot for your availability :)

Dusan

Guru
Another reason is that ext4 is a Linux file system. FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD. Speaking about state-of-art in filesystems, ZFS is actually the current state-of-art FS, in the Linux world the experimental Btrfs is trying to get there, ext4 is just a stop-gap solution based on old technology.
By the way, even though EXT4 you're screwed, it is well-known that EXT3 can be semi-compatible with EXT2, and there's a good chance you might be able to import that filesystem. You'd have to exercise some Google-fu though. (You said you weren't sure if you were formatted 3 or 4---3 looks like it will be considerably less problem).
In FreeBSD there's http://www.freshports.org/sysutils/fusefs-ext4fusem, however it is not included in FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.