Importing ext4 disk?

Vectorspace

Dabbler
From what I gather from the user guide and searching this forum, this is only possible sometimes. I have tried and failed, but I am new at this so I don't know if I've done something wrong, so I would like to double-check that there's nothing I can do.

My newly built FreeNAS box has a pair of new disks formatted as ZFS, and a pair of disks of older disks from my previous home-made NAS (Ubuntu + Samba) that were ext4 formatted and mounted together as raid10 (yes, 10. Should have been 1).
FreeNAS detects both disks, as /dev/ada3 and /dev/ada4

When I go to Storage -> Import Disk, it gives me the option of importing from \dev\ada3s1 or \dev\ada4s1. I have tried both. I pick the ext2fs option for filesystem type as that's the closest.

It then fails with this error:
Code:
Mount failed (exit code 1): mount: /dev/ada4s1: Invalid argument

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 333, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 364, in __run_body
    rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 664, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 448, in import_disk
    async with MountFsContextManager(self.middleware, volume, src, fs_type, fs_options, ["ro"]):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 192, in __aenter__
    await mount(self.device, self.path, *self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 83, in mount
    output[1].decode("utf-8"),
ValueError: Mount failed (exit code 1):
mount: /dev/ada4s1: Invalid argument

Is there anything else that I can try? Something less complicated than my last ditch plan of:
  • Install a Linux distro on a USB and boot from it
  • In Linux, mount one of the ext4 drives (I assume I can do that?), and format the other as FAT32
  • Copy the relevant data from the ext4 drive to the FAT32 drive
  • In FreeNAS, import the FAT32 drive to the existing ZFS pool

D

dlavigne

You shouldn't be getting a traceback. Please create a report at bugs.ixsystems.com and post the issue number here.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You could also use ZFS on Linux to just copy the data directly to a pool you already created on the same box in FreeNAS.

If you have the option of a small Linux box (like a Pi or an old laptop), you could attach the disk(s) containing relevant data via USB (with a cradle/dock) and rsync it across to FreeNAS.

Vectorspace

Dabbler
You could also use ZFS on Linux to just copy the data directly to a pool you already created on the same box in FreeNAS.
I thought about that, but I imagine that since the ZFS drives are mirrored I would need to mount them together in order to copy without making them out of sync? I don't know how to do that.

I have additional information. I have a monitor currently hooked up to the FreeNAS box. It was off, so I did not notice until now that it output additional error information when I attempted the import - information that the Web GUI did not show:
Code:
mount of ada3s1 denied due to bad gd=0 csum=0x29ee, expected=0xe4fd - run fsck

I did see fsck mentioned in the user guide around importing ext4. How in some cases ext4 drives would need an external fsck utility run on them before importing.
Should I try installing E2fsprogs utilities and running fsck on one of the drives? If so, how do I install it? And what does it actually do to the drive?

sretalla