Data recovery

frb

Cadet
Good night people!

I made a big mistake in freenas.

I had created a storage system with two 1TB HDDs in stripe mode and everything was working perfectly. Later, on a certain day I added manually through the web / graphical interface 1 HD of 500GB and then another of 1TB. Freenas showed error messages for the 1TB HD. So I tried to detach the two added HDs and I could not. I formatted the HDs (500GB and 1TB) and disconnected them from the cables. Now I can no longer access the volume that contains the files and not even import the volume. Everything happened on the same day. I added few files after these 2 HDs were added and there was plenty of space in the volume before, there was not even a need to add those two.

So folks, I do not have backup of everything that was in the volume, I got winding and went to do tests at the wrong time. Is there any possibility of recovering the stored data? Is there any way to mount the volume again?

Attach the result image of the command: zpool import. You can see that the main HDs that contain the information are online and intact.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Hugs!!

Attachments

• zpool import.JPG
    zpool import.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 369

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
two 1TB HDDs in stripe mode
Why do you expect to be able to recover from that? Seriously, did you do any reading at all? Are you in the habit of setting up random configurations and throwing the data you clearly value onto them with zero thought put into the whole thing?

Lucky for you, you might be able to recover something by using the new tools to import the pool read-only with missing vdevs. Or maybe not, since you're missing two whole vdevs.

Arwen

MVP
@frb, this is one reason I do not recommend ZFS or FreeNAS to everyone. Using FreeNAS is more complicated than some free NAS software. Using stripes without backups is a recipe for disaster.

That said, when properly spec'ed, configured and maintained, FreeNAS & ZFS supplies one of the best free solutions for data integrity.

Other than the new feature that @Ericloewe mentioned, (which may not be available in FreeNAS yet), I don't have any suggestions.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
(which may not be available in FreeNAS yet)
It is in 11.2, but I haven't actually heard of anyone trying it out.

frb

Cadet
Good morning people! My English is not very good. I read about freenas and I researched zfs in the oracle document. There is little documentation in Portuguese! Could you tell me which commands should I use?

Thank you!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

frb

Cadet
Good Morning!

I made a few attempts but could not make the recovery.
Could you help me please?

Thank you!

Last edited: