Remove drive from volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

FNC

Cadet
Hi,

I am running FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p2-x64 (11367) on a HP Proliant Microserver booting from usb.
I have the following drives:
160Gb
160GB
250GB
1000GB

When I first installed FreeNAS I did not have the 1TB drive, and create a volume Master with the 2x160GB and 1 x 250GB drive. I create a volume called Master with the 3 drives, it gave me a total storage of almost 500GB.
I later added the 1TB drive. When into Create volume, named the volume Master and selected the 1TB drive.
The master volume now has a total storage op 1.3TB.

What I would like to do is remove one of the 160GB drives from the volume.

How can I do this?

ProtoSD

MVP
You didn't mention if your volume was UFS or ZFS, I assume ZFS, but either way I don't believe what you want to do is possible. Also, if you are using ZFS and you added the 1TB disk to your pool, you have no redundancy. So if your 1TB disk fails, you will lose all the data from your entire pool.

If you are using ZFS, can you post the output of "zpool status -v"?

FNC

Cadet
I am using ZFS.
I don't really care about redundancy. I just want the maximum amount of storage that I can get.

Here is the out put of zpool status -v

pool: Master
state: ONLINE
scrub: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
Master ONLINE 0 0 0
ada1p2 ONLINE 0 0 0
ada2p2 ONLINE 0 0 0
ada3p2 ONLINE 0 0 0
ada0p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

The drives are as follow

ada1 - 160GB
ada2 - 120GB (This is the drive I would like to remove)
ada3 - 250GB
ada4 - 1TB

ProtoSD

MVP
Unless someone else is aware of something that I'm not, or I'm missing something, the only way I can think of is to recreate your entire pool. There's zpool "offline" and "detach", but your data is striped across your disks, so removing any disk, or any disk failing will cause the entire pool to fail.

FNC

Cadet
So even if I have just added the 1TB drive now, I will not be able to remove is again? Is this a limitation of ZFS? I'm sure it can be done with LVM.

peterh

Patron
correct. Once added you cannot remove it. Your data is striped across all members and if
one member is removed data is invalid.

It's clearly noted in zfs documentation on numerous places.

Status
Not open for further replies.