Hello World

Status
Not open for further replies.

janfrode

Cadet
Hi,

I am a guy who have used FreeNAS all the way back to around 2008/2009 if I can remember right, when I built myself two equal systems (which I am still using) consisting of:

- Asus P5Q3 motherboards (with 8 SATA plugs over two controllers and a separate IDE controller)
- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 2.5GHz
- 16GB RAM
- 2 x Chieftec HD Hot-Swap bays with space for 4 HDs each (for a total of 8 HDs)
- 450W PW

I have switched HDs twice and I started with 3 x 1,5TB HDs and are now using 3 x 4TB HDs running in RAIDZ1. The setup is planned to be able to migrate to new HDs live by just utilizing 4 HD bays at any given time and so taking advantage of the 8 available bays in front of the PC enclosure. Besides this I have only bought more RAM once for pennies, besides this the systems have been running unaltered since their construction way back in 2008/2009.

Since I have two equal storage-solutions with slightly varying HD configurations, I have placed the second one geographically in another place and are running backups.

As far as I remember I started using FreeNAS version 7/8 and are now on FreeNAS 10 / Corral. Very satisfied with the FreeNAS solution and it has been very stable.... the only thing I think it lacks is in-depth documentation of its inner workings (I once had to mess around with the FreeNAS SQLite database to purge out some certificates that the boot-up process didn't like to avoid having to reinstall and loose all my settings). I have many years experience running Nexsan SATABeasts at work and for the money it cost to setup my FreeNAS solution I must say I am impressed with FreeNAS. Even the write-speed to the FreeNAS is around 30MB/s (requires 1GB switch of course) in my setup over CIFS/Samba...

I share my data out in a combination of NFS and samba dependent upon needs.

FreeNAS team - keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.