Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keng Vang

Cadet
Hi from Wisconsin,
I've been recently intrigued by Teksyndicate & LinusTechTips TY vids about freenas. I've been trying to make a nas/HTPC forever. I have parts but just never got around to it. Anyways I've ordered some 10GBe NICs. So yea I'm really want to dive into making one in the coming months.

Here's what I got lying around atm:

CPU: AMD FX 8350, AMD X6 1090T & AMD X4 965
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fx-ud3 or Asrock 990fx extreme3
HDs: 4TB 5900RPM Seagate, 2 1.5TB Seagate, 1 64GB sandisk, 1 32GB sandisk USB stick.

Now for possible addin cards & SAS raid:
IBM ServeRaid M1015 ($90.00) on Freenas recommended list
NZXT Source 210 (for the drive bays 8+2? ~$45.00)
Mellanox ConnectX-2 (MNPA19-XTR 10GB NIC card ~26.00)
Corsair AXi760 or Seasonic G-750 power supply (~$120)

I'm also looking for a better box. I prefer a desktop or lying down box like Silverstone Grandia, but with more HD space (8 minimum). Also not sure if the 10GB nic is on recommended list or not. I will prob. have to search that out. Also I don't believe in spending 300+ dollar for a motherboard combo cuz I can get a QNAP TS-451 at that price point.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You haven't read the recommended hardware thread. I recommend you do that before continuing this discussion

Keng Vang

Cadet
You can't use a FreeNAS box as an HTPC. You can use FreeNAS as storage for media that you consume on an HTPC.
ever heard of the plex media server or the xbmc plugin? God u guys are like the new kids that tell everybody they meet, they got cavities.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
ever heard of the plex media server or the xbmc plugin? God u guys are like the new kids that tell everybody they meet they got cavities.
Well, basically the plex media server is a server. Freenas cannot be used as a htpc. Period. It can be used to store your media for an htpc to connect to.

I've never heard anyone tell someone else they have cavities unless it's a dentist... Not sure what kind of insult that was supposed to be, but you would do well to read the rules and the stickies that we have in place.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
In that link they use a pi for the htpc and a freenas for the server. Which is exactly what we said you could do. You can't run htpc front end on freenas. Period.

If you have read OUR hardware recommendations, you would know why I say that you haven't read it. Using recommendations on some other site is stupid.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
thought in-built or any gpu could output video
That article describes what I said, which is storing media on FreeNAS and consuming it on other devices. There is no way to output media directly from FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.