SOLVED Imported Volume is Missing Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
So your UFS mirror is mounted. I think I'd try importing the pool from the GUI, then start copying data from the shell.

dudeinco

Dabbler
So your UFS mirror is mounted. I think I'd try importing the pool from the GUI, then start copying data from the shell.
Thanks - I'll give that a shot now, and see where that gets me. Just when you think all hope is lost... I'll attempt to copy everything into the pool, once imported.

dudeinco

Dabbler
Better beware where your mountpoints are. They might try to stomp on each other.
Thanks - It's copying right now - probably will take a while, but I'm guessing that the end game for this will be to get everything on the Volume, move to version 11, import the volume, somehow blow away the raid drives, then add the drives to the volume for redundancy?

(noob that can navigate somewhat)

Edit: Copy is done - appears to be good.

Last edited:

rs225

Guru
Since your old UFS is a mirror set, just do one half and keep the other half on your desk until you know everything is working. Read the manual on how to add a mirror to the existing pool drive. Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of adding it as a separate drive that isn't a mirror.

If the GUI on 11 won't let you add the disk as a mirror because it still sees the UFS/raid, then post back.

dudeinco

Dabbler
Since your old UFS is a mirror set, just do one half and keep the other half on your desk until you know everything is working. Read the manual on how to add a mirror to the existing pool drive. Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of adding it as a separate drive that isn't a mirror.

If the GUI on 11 won't let you add the disk as a mirror because it still sees the UFS/raid, then post back.
I attached a USB drive, mounted it, and copied everything from the mirror off. It will take forever, but after that, I will install 11, and hopefully we'll be good to go. Will let you know if I run into trouble on 11. -Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
Read the manual on how to add a mirror to the existing pool drive.
Unfortunately, the manual doesn't cover this, as it still isn't possible through the GUI.

dudeinco

Dabbler

OK, so danb35 is correct. What I have now is my two UFS mirror drives, and my ZFS pool. What I need to do is get the two UFS drives into the pool as mirrors. I understand the first step would be to copy the data to all the drives, and that's already done, but I'm guessing I need to blow away the UFS drives?

I upgraded to 11. I have the contents backed up on a USB drive (hopefully won't need to copy them back - slow).

Essentially what I'm after here is a raid 1 style redundancy to protect against catastrophic failure of one of the drives (seamless failure protection). Is this possible?

I'm leaning towards this being a hint: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/create-zfs-mirror-by-adding-a-drive.14880/
Or possibly here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/adding-new-disk-to-create-mirror-how-in-corral.52633/

Looks like ADA2 is my drive in the pool, and ADA0 & 1 are the current UFS mirrors.

edit: Had some issues setting up the share, but figured this out. Redundancy is last issue, then I can put this one to bed. I upgraded the pool, so no turning back now!

Last edited:

Stux

MVP

dudeinco

Dabbler
This is the correct approach.
Stuck on trying to destroy the existing mirror (need to figure out how that was created) - does that need to be done, or should I just add ada0 to the pool as a mirror, and keep the existing mirror between ada0 and ada1?

edit:
gmirror forget LifeRaid1
gmirror destroy LifeRaid1

Last edited:

dudeinco

Dabbler
We're done! Thanks for all the help. ZPool status shows the two drives are reslivering, so I believe we're good to go! Finally!

Great support forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.