Boot Volume Condition: DEGRADED One or more devices has experienced an error IN SITU REPAIR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitrot

Cadet
Afternoon all,

Crisis stations! Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere - I had a quick look at couldn't see the exact issue I'm having.

In brief I’ve been an idiot and not prepared for this scenario (let’s get that out the way now – 100% Mea Culpa)

I've logged into my FreeNAS box and found that the boot volume is degraded. I have no mirrored or backup of this boot volume.

Is there a way that I can recover from what I imagine is a disaster in waiting? i.e. I reboot and the FreeNAS box never comes back up again :/

What I'd like to know is can I:

1) attach a new USB stick to the live running system
2) backup the config & recreate an identical working copy of the degraded USB drive’s config (with ALL drives/shares/settings preserved)
3) remove the defective USB device and replace it with the now functional one
4) pretend that this never happened / learn from the experience and share my happy outcome with others

MUCH appreciated :)

Mr BitRot.

pschatz100

Guru
Why are you nervous about rebooting the box? Do you have some sort of a complicated nonstandard setup?

If you follow the advice above, no data will be at risk. While you are at it, you might consider replacing the the USB stick with a small SSD as a boot drive. It will be more reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.