Rescue data

Status
Not open for further replies.

anichin

Cadet
I had external USB drive with UFS which I used it to back up some data from old FreeNAS installation using rsync.

Later I created ZFS volume and datasets. Then I attached the USB drive in order to copy the information back. Instead of importing the volume I created a new one with UFS Volume Manager (legacy). I know I did a dumb thing but is there any chance to rescue the information?

anichin

Cadet
Not really, you re-formatted that disk.

Does this re-format the entire disk or just overrides the information in the partition table?
It took just seconds which gives my some hope to think that not all the information was wiped.
If the existing file system type is the same as the one for the new volume there is no need to physically format all sectors.

Can files be recovered with missing partition information ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's like this:

1. You are correct that it just overwrite the partition table and a new file system was thrown on.
2. Most of your data is still on the drive itself, albeit unavailable.
3. It's very possible that your file system and some files are lost due to the new file system being written to the disk.
4. Your options are pretty much kiss the data goodbye, pay some company 4-figures(or more) to try to recover the data, or try to recover it yourself if you are dedicated and knowledgeable enough to get the data back.

I've done UFS recovery once or twice. But you will probably find my price unpalatable as I charge the same price whether its small disks or large zpools. The amount of work is about the same. You'd probably have to mail me your hard drive too for this particular operation, which some people aren't interested in doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.